The "How Much?" / "Having a Giraffe!" Café thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
I've seen some cables for £400 and thought that was the highest end they could reach. Wow. However, sometimes sellers are out of stock but don't want to advertise that on the site, or don't want to take it off and re-list, so they raise the price stupidly high in the hope no-one will buy it until more stock comes in, then they reduce it to normal price again. Could this be the case here? Although I know someone who used to trade in £100,000 speakers so maybe if you can afford that, you can afford as much for the cables.

What always puzzles me with this mega expensive hi fi stuff is even if it is marginally better (law of diminishing returns and all that), does anybody (let alone folk who listen to lots of music, go to gigs etc.) having hearing good enough to tell the difference? :headshake:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What always puzzles me with this mega expensive hi fi stuff is even if it is marginally better (law of diminishing returns and all that), does anybody (let alone folk who listen to lots of music, go to gigs etc.) having hearing good enough to tell the difference? :headshake:

probably not but they imagine it is :whistle:

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I saw a programme last night about the most expensive/exclusive hotels and prices per night or per week were just ridiculous.

There was one in Switzerland that was €18,000 a night. They kept on going on about the views, but they were pretty crap by Swiss standards.
On the basis of two people sharing, and ten hours' good sleep, that works out at 25 cents per second per person!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
On holiday in Wyoming this summer, my wife popped into Albertson's supermarket in Jackson for a loaf of sliced white bread... $4.99!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Brother in law phoned from vegas and he got 2 cocktails next to the pool for 68 dollars. Absolute joke.

USA is mega expensive now For tourists.
They all earn far more than we do and pay less tax. Plus the exchange rate is poor.
i was chatting with some tourists in Mexico last month. Spending $50 dollars to them is like us spending £20. They wouldn’t consider $68 as being expensive for 2 cocktails in Vegas served by a pool.

Milzy

Guru
USA is mega expensive now For tourists.
They all earn far more than we do and pay less tax. Plus the exchange rate is poor.
i was chatting with some tourists in Mexico last month. Spending $50 dollars to them is like us spending £20. They wouldn’t consider $68 as being expensive for 2 cocktails in Vegas served by a pool.

Factor in all the tips which can be up to 30% of the bill. Crazy expensive trip.

Yes is the answer with half decent kit. I swapped out cheap speaker cable, £5/m for Naim cable at £35/m a few years back, big difference. Would there be much improvement using Naim's 'top' cable at £2k? I'll never know.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yes is the answer with half decent kit. I swapped out cheap speaker cable, £5/m for Naim cable at £35/m a few years back, big difference. Would there be much improvement using Naim's 'top' cable at £2k? I'll never know.

Fair enough changing from too thin cable to something adequate, will likely improve matters but if an ultra expensive cable really makes a big difference I'd be wondering if it is actually distorting or otherwise changing the signal from what it should be, just like a boomy base may "improve" certain music, it is nevertheless "low-fi" rather than hi-fi

Cheeky monkeys don't even give you a needle with it. :eek:
Screenshot_20230923_173146_Samsung Internet.jpg

Top Bottom