The kids want a dog!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
my children are 5 & 8.They have a stay at home mum & we are thinking about getting a small dog.Border terrier,Schnauser & King Charles Cavaliers have been talked about.The main thing is good temprament,doesnt malt much if at all.any suggestions or advise on the breeds mentioned??or alternatives ??

3-IN-One

All dogs Malt I,m afraid but for Temp I would go for Golden/Black Lab.

Flyingfox

We had numerous dogs when I was younger, mainly mongrels, which tend to have less things wrong with them and hence cheaper vets bills. My favourite though was a long haired Jack Russell that had the most brilliant temprement (hated men with beards and people in uniforms though!). A woman at work has a King Charles, which are reknowned for problems, and has spent a fortune at the vets lately.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Most dogs malt, some more than others... they are hideous themselves but anything crossed with a poodle (i know i know) like a labradoodle or a cockerpoo (cocker spaniel cross poodle) are supposed to be the 'hypoallergelic' dogs, our neighbour has a labradoodle and it is a great dog and there is no hair all over their clothes and house, so i guess its ok.

Borders are cracking dogs but VERY hard to train, can be tricky with other dogs and can be snappy. As with Schnausers and the king charles too i am afraid they can all be snappy (small dog syndrome), not necessarily with kids and yours are old enough to respect a dog anyway.

3-IN-One is right, the best family dog bar none is a Lab, i grew up with 2 of them (amognst other breeds) and they will NEVER get bored of playing fetch with the kids, will protect them if need be but never bite or growl at them, the are very clever and dont need much training (its in their nature to work off their owner - to a degree). The Schnauser and Borders are more solitary and do need a very firm owner. I would go for a cocker or springer spaniel over the king charles, less snappy and more playfull with the kids, if you dont want them to malt all over the house just give the kids 50p to brush it every other day. I used to with our cocker spaniels and they turned it into a game and love it.

If anyone saysget a beagle as they are "small labs" ignore them, i have a 9 year old beagle and she has cost me around £4k in damages so far (what kind of bike would that get me?).

Good Luck!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Flyingfox said:
A woman at work has a King Charles, which are reknowned for problems, and has spent a fortune at the vets lately.

Lovely, placid dogs and perfect for kids but interbreeding has caused severe problems in this breed. They are renowned for all sorts of congenital disorders just now due to irresponsible money-grabbers. Probably best to let this breed become less popular to decrease the suffering until such time there's more of a gene pool to breed from.

The best malt's come from Scotland:biggrin:. As 3-in-1 says labs either type or for a smaller dog one of the wire-haired terrrier types would be OK although they can be rather vocal. Best go a rescue place and see what they have although it might need a couple of visits.

gary r said:
my children are 5 & 8.They have a stay at home mum & we are thinking about getting a small dog.Border terrier,Schnauser & King Charles Cavaliers have been talked about.The main thing is good temprament,doesnt malt much if at all.any suggestions or advise on the breeds mentioned??or alternatives ??

It'll have to be a border terrier then for malt xx( - sorry couldn't resist.

I've a Lab so can't comment on them. I do know a dog has been a great addition to the family. They all moult though don't they, except Poodles.

peanut

Why ???? xx(

Dogs ...all they do is eat , fart, bark and chew everything in sight :biggrin: You can't leave them at home all day and go to work like you can a cat or rabbit.
They need tons of exercise every day, rain snow or shine even when you are knackered:sad:

The wife's Doby tonight has eaten the cat's food,chewed her bed, smashed her head through the cat flap to bark at the neighbours (scared the bejeesus out of them :biggrin:)
Then she peeded on the carpet . When we let her out in the garden she barked her stupid head of all the way down the garden.
Now she is firmly ensconced on the best sofa in the house snoring
Tell me what is appealing about that ?:bicycle:

peanut said:
Why ???? :biggrin:

Dogs ...all they do is eat , fart, bark and chew everything in sight :biggrin: You can't leave them at home all day and go to work like you can a cat or rabbit.
They need tons of exercise every day, rain snow or shine even when you are knackered:sad:

The wife's Doby tonight has eaten the cat's food,chewed her bed, smashed her head through the cat flap to bark at the neighbours (scared the bejeesus out of them :bicycle:)
Then she peeded on the carpet . When we let her out in the garden she barked her stupid head of all the way down the garden.
Now she is firmly ensconced on the best sofa in the house snoring
Tell me what is appealing about that ?:hungry:

Nothing and this would be a good time to talk about proper training and how to raise a dog xx(

PaulB

Legendary Member
I love dogs, me. My favourites are the Scottish terrier types such as the Westie, the Highland Terrier, the Cairn Terrier and what is supposedly the world's most intelligent breed, the Skye Terrier. Saying that, you get lucky with a mongrel and you will be blessed.

yoyo

We have owned two KC Spaniels and would have nothing else in spite of the vet bills. They are real pets, sit in your lap all day and give vast amounts of love. Yes, they shed hair but they are not as yappy or aggressive as say, jack russells/westies or yorkies. KC Spaniels are a great size for young children.

Top Bottom