The kids want a dog!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get one of the hairless breeds - simple

(PS I prefer a single Malt)

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I've got a Weimaraner (which I certainly wouldn't recommend as a first dog, far from it!) but she's short haired and the moulting issue is minimal. Previously we had a labrador and got really fed up with everlasting labrador hair in your food, in the air, up your nose, although the dog himself was fantastic.

I would be a bit wary of a Cavalier King Charles spaniel because of the inbreeding difficulties with syringomyelia which is just awful and very widespread. You might be OK but you might not and it seems to be a heartbreaking problem.

Gromit

Über Member
Best to train the kids first, dogs don't like to have their bits pulled. My mums friend had to have their Alsatian put down after it bit a kid, the child had hold of its balls, pulled them really hard and hurt the dog. Thats why it bit him.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Gromit said:
Best to train the kids first, dogs don't like to have their bits pulled. My mums friend had to have their Alsatian put down after it bit a kid, the child had hold of its balls, pulled them really hard and hurt the dog. Thats why it bit him.

heard once about an alsation that got put down because it bit the kid. when the vet investigated further (because he knew the dog and thought it was so out of character so ask if he could do an autopsy) he found a wax crayon had been pushed into its ear by said kid. poor dog

Cunobelin said:
Get one of the hairless breeds - simple

Like this, you mean!? :angry:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Get a rescue dog - there's so many about that need a loving home.

You can get pedigree ones (if you really want to and you do wonder why a £500 dog lands in a home) but most are mongrels. Best of both worlds imo.

Teach the kids first, train the dog later.

Good luck!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
MichaelM said:
In this house, dog hair is a condiment !

Yep. She's been gone a week and we have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned but the effing fridge is still full of it.

It's something you have to take on.....

Your plate!!!:angry:

snapper_37 said:
Teach the kids first, train the dog later.

Yeah absolutely. Mine jumps at anyone with a stick because that's how the kids play with him. Trying to train them not to do it and him that's it's not a game anymore is much harder than getting it right first time around.

purplepolly

Gromit said:

A cat will train young children in how to behave towards animals. One attempt at pulling something and the claws will come out. No lasting damage but very educational. On the other hand, if the child learns to respect the cat and treat it correctly, it'll (it may) respond by purring and being affectionate.

Top Bottom