The middle class guide to drinking wine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a sneaky study, Brochet dyed a white wine red and gave it to 54 oenology (wine science) students. The supposedly expert panel overwhelmingly described the beverage like they would a red wine. They were completely fooled

That's fascinating - and not at all surprising. In a really interesting programme about 'the biggest crisp factory in the world' - Walkers, in Leicester - they had an academic demonstrating how much of what we 'taste' actually comes from other clues - particularly smell and, to a surprising extent, sight. By way of illustration, pegging the noses of crisp munchers left them totally unable to id what flavour they were eating, while putting salt & vinegar crisps in a blue bag had one triallist after another intoning 'cheese & onion', 'cheese & onion', 'cheese & onion'.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Unless you want to leave your wine for 24 hours or more before drinking it, there is going to be virtually no effect of oxygen on the tannins. You might get some oxygenation of thiols and other nasties will simply evaporate. Together those effects may give the perception of a softening of tannic flavour.
I stand corrected on the science.

I stand corrected on the science.

For those who know Cambridge there is the Eagle

Allegedly two scientists called Crick and Watson, imbibed a few of the hostelry's finest beers and wines, and rather than await peer review or publish a scientific paper, announced the discovery od DNA in the pub!

Science and alcohol!

For those who know Cambridge there is the Eagle

Allegedly two scientists called Crick and Watson, imbibed a few of the hostelry's finest beers and wines, and rather than await peer review or publish a scientific paper, announced the discovery od DNA in the pub!

Science and alcohol!
Point of order...

...Crick and Watson did not discover DNA but they did identify its structure

Thanks

As you were

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

On a related note, just last week at a Trattoria in southern Italy, the waiter brought our carafe of local red and asked us something, at some length, in that delightful and incomprehensible language of theirs, so being English we smiled a lot and said 'si'. He returned with an ice bucket, into which he nestled the carafe. And he was right. The chilling removed the roughness and made the wine a far more enjoyable beverage. I highly recommend it for any red that's cheap and cheerful and on the 'thinner' (ie, not Rioja/oaked type of thing) end of the scale.
Last night's bottle of red... an inexpensive tipple sourced from Aldi which claims to be 'brilliant with sausages or ribs' wasn't very palatable... too treacly and i was thinking maybe this would be better chilled. Then again, maybe it's a cooking wine rather than a drinking wine.... why else would they claim it's 'brilliant with sausages or ribs'?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
....and others would argue Franklin was key to it all
Loxley_house_key.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I say bullshit - "taste better" is completely subjective. Ask anyone who doesn't like hoppy hipster beers :smile:.
Yebbut 'over hopped' beers are all the rage, for me a good 'Porter' or 'Mild' every time. I used to drink in an old 'Darts and Dominoes pub in Enderby (the Havelock Arms) that would shift 2-3 barrels of Mild most days, nectar. :cheers:

M&B 'Flying Stag' Mild.................................Good Honest Beer

Top Bottom