FNRttC The not the Fridays Tour 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've always stayed in an IBIS just out of town, 15min train ride in, though I was in the car for those times. Great service and beer (did I not mention this already! :smile: )
Yebbut.... I have to minimise walking. My knees issue me a 20 minute daily maximum, beyond which I dare not go without paying in flesh. So I also book as close to town centre and/or Fridays Central (once known) as possible. Cologne parhaps offers some leeway, as we could stay further out and ride/train in for sightseeing on the rest day.

In the same way as we did for Utrecht.
Exactly. :smile:

In the same way as we did for Utrecht.

If that means sitting in a canal side bar most of the afternoon watching the world drift by, then I think I can do that sort of thing again.

20150910_154628.jpg

mmmmartin

Random geezer
the scars from scraping against that damned pedalo cover are still on the front of my legs. Our Northern Hard Man suffered even more than I did. Look - and this was sustained 10 weeks ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gordon P

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
@redfalo & I are very pleased with the reception of our proposal (which of course we had discussed with @mmmmartin). We are a few weeks ahead of where we were this time last year wityh planning the Tour of the Lowlands, and hope we can use the time to ensure a smooth & enjoyable trip.

17 early bird sign-ups are sufficient to warrant a first list. Some on it will claim they are only possible or hopeful; I've included them nonetheless (so no pressure). Some others I know of will surely sign up soon:

Adrian C
Andrew B
Cate R
Gordon P
Greg C
Helen S
Ian Mac
Jason B
Jenny M
Martin Be
Martin Br
Olaf S
Rachel S
Sonia W
Stuart A
Stuart G
Titus H

We will in due course think about group bookings on the ferry - plenty of time for that.

Re Accommodation, by all means start exploring & sharing what you discover (you have already!) but I suggest you think at this stage in terms of provisional bookings or at least returnable deposit ones, just in case something changes.
I have toyed with the idea of a group booking as we did in Marconne this year but think it unlikely that luck can strike twice so rewardingly and anyway we should everywhere be faced with a greater choice than we were in that town. Maybe we just need to think in terms of a place or places that we can all eat together, like on the first & last days & maybe in the middle.
In Cologne I note the comments about cost - @redfalo has some ideas to address that so give him time to investigate. He thinks strongly that it would be better to stay in the city as one of the pleasures will be wandering the nocturnal streets (!!) Has anyone checked on AirBnB to see if there is a largeish self-catering place we could inhabit for the 2 nights? Just a thought to throw in.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@redfalo & I are very pleased with the reception of our proposal (which of course we had discussed with @mmmmartin). We are a few weeks ahead of where we were this time last year wityh planning the Tour of the Lowlands, and hope we can use the time to ensure a smooth & enjoyable trip.

17 early bird sign-ups are sufficient to warrant a first list. Some on it will claim they are only possible or hopeful; I've included them nonetheless (so no pressure). Some others I know of will surely sign up soon:

Adrian C
Andrew B
Cate R
Gordon P
Greg C
Helen S
Ian Mac
Jason B
Jenny M
Martin Be
Martin Br
Olaf S
Rachel S
Sonia W
Stuart A
Stuart G
Titus H

We will in due course think about group bookings on the ferry - plenty of time for that.

Re Accommodation, by all means start exploring & sharing what you discover (you have already!) but I suggest you think at this stage in terms of provisional bookings or at least returnable deposit ones, just in case something changes.
I have toyed with the idea of a group booking as we did in Marconne this year but think it unlikely that luck can strike twice so rewardingly and anyway we should everywhere be faced with a greater choice than we were in that town. Maybe we just need to think in terms of a place or places that we can all eat together, like on the first & last days & maybe in the middle.
In Cologne I note the comments about cost - @redfalo has some ideas to address that so give him time to investigate. He thinks strongly that it would be better to stay in the city as one of the pleasures will be wandering the nocturnal streets (!!) Has anyone checked on AirBnB to see if there is a largeish self-catering place we could inhabit for the 2 nights? Just a thought to throw in.....
When is the date going to be set? I haven't enquired about moving the leave (or more accurately, finding someone able let alone willing to swap), and reading between the lines of the rules it'll be far, far easier if the tour gets shifted....

OP
OP
Gordon P

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
When is the date going to be set?
Sorry Stu but I think it has been - nobody else has commented about the dates given in the first post on the thread, so as per the reasons I stated in another post for setting the date in that week, I think we will stick with it. Good luck with bending the rules - may the Force & your colleagues' good will be with you.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
The VDOF says this about renewing: it seems they post you the book and the card and then you do in fact send the money afterwards.

Thank you for your email. The membership for 2016 is already added in your donor number. In January we will be sending you the booklet and donor card for 2016.
The money will not be taken automatically from your bank account. You can pay this with Paypal or transfer it to our bank account. This information you will receive with the booklet.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Stichting Vrienden op de Fiets
Postbus 1024
2340 BA Oegstgeest
E: administratie@vriendenopdefiets.nl
T: +31 88 1238999

Denk aan het milieu voordat u dit bericht print!

Last edited:
And - the IBIS in Koln is good value for a big city and right in the centre by the cathedral (Dom) and main station - bikes in your room!
Update: this IBIS is sold out on our dates, as far as booking.com is concerned. There may still be rooms via other agent sites but I know quite a few of use booking.com so thought I'd let you know.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
as for Cologne, this place is good value: https://hostel.ag/ it's located centrally, has good rates and good rooms (Kat stayed there before) online booking only possible 1 month in advance, but I just called them. We could reserve 6 or 7 doubles for the relevant dates, 89 euro per room and night. could be cancelled a week in advance.
discuss.

as for Cologne, this place is good value: https://hostel.ag/ it's located centrally, has good rates and good rooms (Kat stayed there before) online booking only possible 1 month in advance, but I just called them. We could reserve 6 or 7 doubles for the relevant dates, 89 euro per room and night. could be cancelled a week in advance.
discuss.
Is that EUR179 per double room for the two nights? That's not much cheaper than the hotel on the Rhine promenade that I've provisionally booked... hmmm.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Is that EUR179 per double room for the two nights? That's not much cheaper than the hotel on the Rhine promenade that I've provisionally booked... hmmm.
yes, 89 euros per night for a double. no river view though, and basic but clean rooms. but hold your horses until booking is confirmed. what did you book at whick rate?

Top Bottom