The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Whilst on the subject of landings and things, there was an article in Aeroplane Monthly a few years ago concerning a B36 landing at Boscombe down. I am not too sure how it went but it was along these lines. The B36 was being guided in by air traffic control, height and distance from the runway. As it got closer the American pilot called out. " Gee! Your runway is rough!"
To which the air traffic controller replied. " What do you mean, You haven't reached the perimeter yet!"
The American pilot had mistaken the landing lights as the end of the runway and had landed in a field a 1/4 of a mile away.

attachment.php?attachmentid=173309&stc=1&d=1243341612.jpg

midlife

Guru
That picture reminds me of the Cornfield Bomber :smile:

Shaun

Is that a Delta Dagger? Or a Dart?

There was a story of a Chance Vought Crusader flying with its wings folded. I am not sure how the pilot got into that situation but he survived, that was in another magazine that I read, I have got it somewhere.

Geoff.

midlife

Guru

There was a story of a Chance Vought Crusader flying with its wings folded. I am not sure how the pilot got into that situation but he survived, that was in another magazine that I read, I have got it somewhere.

Geoff.

F106 so Delta Dagger :smile:

Area ruled from the start. I built a model of one years ago when I had a go at all the century series of fighters :smile:

Shaun

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Geoff.

There was more than one. Some of the flights were planned.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/02/19/us-navy-fighters-folded-wings/

There's also the tale of an Israeli F15 jet fighter flying with one wing missing...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M359poNjvVA

gbb

Legendary Member
1983, i happened to look out my window at home and saw a bright orange fireball in the sky, small because of the distance, but i thought ooer, what the heck was that ?
Later that day, news reported two Harriers collided near Eye village. 2 deaths i seem to remember...MOD summary ..
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....01_harrier_t4_xw926_and_gr3_xv795_23feb83.pdf

At Christian Salvesens in Woodston, Peterborough, it has a tallish block and i was sat in the canteen looking toward the brickpits towards Yaxley etc....i saw an A10, a regular sighting at that time, slow and low, coming towards me maybe a mile away. In the same moment, a Jaguar (IIRC) came low and very fast over the pits at 90 degrees to the A10.
Jesus, the A10 instantly pulled up and sideways and shot back where he came. Incredibly agile and seemed to react instantly.
Near miss ?, these guys were maybe less than a 1/4 mile apart. I don't think the Jaguar even changed course, probably didnt have time.
If they'd have hit, i suspect debris would have been showered all over the A1139 coming off the A1. Closest ive ever seen two aircraft unwittingly together.

Top Bottom