The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Saw this one day from school :sad::
upload_2016-2-12_10-54-20.png

Turned out to be this.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I like sitting near the window watching the wings waving up and down gently, and thinking to myself that people like me had a hand in designing this...

donnydave

Über Member
I like sitting near the window watching the wings waving up and down gently, and thinking to myself that people like me had a hand in designing this...

Have you ever sat right at the back on an aisle seat of something fairly big (i.e twin aisle) and before they draw the curtains you can see all the way down the plane, look at the line of the overhead lockers and see the whole length of the fuselage bending :smile:

I also like to watch the wing tips wobbling around, makes me remember the various wing bending test videos around, there was one for the 787 where the wings got to something like 40° before they finally gave up. I like to listen to peoples stories of turbulence who describe how the plane was being shaken to pieces etc etc, imagining the pilots bravely wrestling with the controls when in actual fact all that's happened in the cockpit is the pilot has asked a stewardess for a napkin as he's spilled his orange juice :laugh:. I've given up explaining that nose wheel imbalance/fan blade out is waaaaaaaaayyy worse than any turbulence, in fact I've all but given up explaining my job, I just say "engineer" and that's enough for most people

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Have you ever sat right at the back on an aisle seat of something fairly big (i.e twin aisle) and before they draw the curtains you can see all the way down the plane, look at the line of the overhead lockers and see the whole length of the fuselage bending :smile:
No, but on a slightly different subject I have sat in one of the front seats on a flight into Lukla, where you can lean sideways a bit and see right through the cockpit windows at the wall of rock the plane is heading for...
:eek:

(best bit from 1 minute)

And take-off are quite exciting too (ye, the runway really does slope like that)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It was an RAF Jaguar that got shot down by an RAF Phantom over Germany in 1983

The Jaguar pilot in question had a charmed life. Following that incident (actually in May 1982), he ejected again 5 months later from another Jaguar which suffered an engine fire over northern Scotland.

One of the few bits that was retrieved from the peat bog where it crashed:

May_14b.jpg

Placard, presented by 14 Sqn ground crew, reads "Sorry, Boss, this was one we could not fix". :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Eric Melrose Brown

"In a career that spanned an era from biplanes to the threshold of spaceflight, Captain Brown, by his own accounts and Royal Navy records, flew 487 distinct types of aircraft, more than any pilot in history, and set a world record of 2,407 landings on aircraft carriers, including the first by a jet plane."

I think that there is an exercise going on on Salisbury plain! I have just seen an Apache followed by a Blackhawk. A couple of minutes later a Chinook followed by an Osprey all going in the same direction.

Top Bottom