The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
There have been C-135s (a cousin of the 707) based at Mildenhall for the last 50-odd years. But they are pretty hard to mistake for a B-52.
Google a few pics and bearing in mind my sighting get was at dusk, low, coming towards me so not a great lot to go on, I suspect you're right, more likely a C135. What was slightly odd was its approach to Mildenhall or Lakenheath...we see a lot of heavy military suff headed that way, but never from that particular direction and altitude.
So most likely a C135 then.

ozboz

Guru
image.png

Saw this for sale , looks a good buy for flying model enthusiasts

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
View attachment 338682
Saw this for sale , looks a good buy for flying model enthusiasts
I'd be very wary about buying that. The person who has advertised it obviously doesn't know too much about model planes. Who calls RAF roundels bullseyes? And AM radio control? Won't be in the air long before interference set in. Looks kosher though, she could be selling it for a friend perhaps. Would need a very experienced flyer.

I'd be very wary about buying that. The person who has advertised it obviously doesn't know too much about model planes. Who calls RAF roundels bullseyes? And AM radio control? Won't be in the air long before interference set in. Looks kosher though, she could be selling it for a friend perhaps. Would need a very experienced flyer.
It is quite a large model?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It is quite a large model?
It may be the DB Models Sopwith Pup.
sopwith-pup-6518-p[ekm]320x174[ekm].jpg

77" span. £340 in kit form. The cowl looks a little different. Anyone else have any ideas?

gbb

Legendary Member
No photos I'm afraid but stood in the canteen looking out over the former RAF Alconbury airfield...two C130s, one notably (although maybe both) had large Polish Airforce red and white checkerboard logos on the rather large tailfin.
As I said to my colleague....ooh, Polish C130s, two perhaps Polish or Lithuanian guys were sat behind us, one uttered something that sounded like Polish/polski blah blah as they watched them fly off, maybe 500 to 1000ft up toward March or Chatteris, then probably onto Mildenhall or Lakenheath. This is the third time this year I saw two C130s, low, headed in the same direction.
What a job eh :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
C130 flew low over chez Drago today. Very low, had a tailplane painted in the RAF anniversary colours. Nearly as noisy on the outside as they were on the inside.

Its hardly likely to be new. They haven't made a plane for seventeen years! And your dad is too old to be flying.

Indeed. Its new to him. That said, he bought it fresh out of a major hours mandated overhaul. The works, engine rebuild by McLaren, fuselage dismantled for inspectikn cleaning andnpowder coating, new exterior paint, trim, fasteners, tyres, even hoses. While something like 30 years old it is equivalent to a pro restored car, as good as brand new.

And he's 71! He reckons he's got 5 or 6 years left before the medicals might start to become tricky.

wp32cf7e86_05_06.jpg

My Stepmum is a dog breeder, Tibetan spaniels, hence the vanity registration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom