'The problem with cyclists' article in Motorsport Magazine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
"I have no problem at all with those who stay in single file and, like the rest of us, use no more space than they need"

bill%20irony%20meter.jpg

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
WHY THE FOOK IS THAT FOOKING CRETIN CRESTING A HILL AT 50 FOOKING MPH IF HE CAN'T STOP HIS FOOKING CAR IF THE FOOKING ROAD ISN'T CLEAR??!!

StuartG

slower but further
It would appear that this journalist's special motoring powers of being able to see round corners does not extend to seeing through humps. Poor man.
He is so right - the cyclists should have taken into account his disability. Next week "will my mobility allowance pay for the new 7-series?"

Hip Priest

Veteran
I used to subscribe to Motor Sport (two words), but I rarely read Frankel's articles because they were normally about road cars, and he's very boring.

KneesUp

Guru
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motor-Sport-Magazine/96482896515

They're getting a richly deserved kicking, that article encourages hostility and aggression on the roads, unforgiveable.
Facebook page says

"Some of you are wondering why we have removed our article on cycling. It is no longer there because what began as a reasonable debate, with sensible arguments on both sides, had spiraled into a torrent of aggression and abuse which was no longer of any value"

Funny, I can only see a huge majority of comments saying the article is appalling. I must have missed the 'torrent of aggression' comments?

MattyKo

Whilst it is probably true to suggest most car drivers have rode a cycle.
It does not follow that they have any appreciation of riding a cycle on the roads.
They may only have ridden a cycle as a child, under the protection and direction of parents.
It is probably easier to suggest that many drivers should not have driven a car.

He misses the point in spectacular fashion.
He doesnt for one minute consider that the cyclists may be having just as much fun as the driver, why is the cyclist seen as being a selfish fool?

I thought he made a very valid point!

Measures to deal specifically with the hazards presented by two such incompatible devices as bicycles and vehicles occupying the same stretches of road will surely come

Absolutely spot on.... there are muppets who drive like this:

You crest a hill at, say, 50mph,

The sooner they are dealt with the better

mustang1

Legendary Member
I am a motoring fan but I kinda lost interest at the bit when author wrote cresting a hill at 50mph when I see two cyclists riding side by side at 5mph and driver does what he can to avoid an accident.

In a nutshell the driver is driving blind. Going over a hill and not being able to see over the hill is like ploughing into a corner not knowing what's around the bend or driving into the sun and not being able to see or turning into a main road without looking if any traffic is approaching.

The whole argument is based on that one fact: driving over a hill, can't see what's over the crest, and driving too fast for the blind hill.

Thing is, this isn't some herbert from Pistonheads, this bloke's a motoring journalist.

I saw the original article, interesting to see they've swapped the pictures over to less perjoritive ones.

Yeah, that was particularly shitty, it's from that Volvo cyclist/pedestrian warning advert, the young woman on a bike was swerving to avoid a hazard, they used that still and put the photo next to a text that said cyclists lack survival skills. So they took the shot out of context to show a cyclist SELFISHLY OBSTRUCTING THE ROAD (or, if you prefer, doing nothing wrong, riding safely and confidently).

Ern1e

Über Member
Whilst it is probably true to suggest most car drivers have rode a cycle.
It does not follow that they have any appreciation of riding a cycle on the roads.
They may only have ridden a cycle as a child, under the protection and direction of parents.
It is probably easier to suggest that many drivers should not have driven a car.
Thats a +1 from me on that plus IMO they should bring back the chap with the red flag !!

stowie

Legendary Member
Facebook page says

"Some of you are wondering why we have removed our article on cycling. It is no longer there because what began as a reasonable debate, with sensible arguments on both sides, had spiraled into a torrent of aggression and abuse which was no longer of any value"

Funny, I can only see a huge majority of comments saying the article is appalling. I must have missed the 'torrent of aggression' comments?

I think this translates to : I posted a piece about how those pesky cyclists get in the way when I want to pretend I am Ari Vatanen on local roads and that it must be their own fault if I crash into them and they, inconveniently, die. I expected everyone to comment saying "yeah pesky cyclists, get orf our roads", but instead I have wound up with hundreds of comments calling me a nobber. It's not fair and I am not playing anymore. So I am taking away the article and then no-one can comment on it any longer. So there. Sorry, what was that you just said about Google web-caching? Oh bugger...

Last edited:
I watched one of those drivers out enjoying the freedom of the open road tonight... as he hurtled round a blind bend, driving with his right hand at 9 o'clock on the wheel, at 60mph, nearly taking out a horse. That must have spoilt his seamless gear change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom