The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Saw that while out on my ride this morning - it went under the bridge at Church Fenton just as I got there (no time to get my phone out, unfortunately). The crew looked a bit warm on the footplate!

Mate of my Dad was a foreman at Finsbury Park depot and got me a guided tour of the Deltic prototype. :smile:
Still in the National Railway Museum, at York
http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection...d=1963-80&pageNo=2&cat=diesel&comp=All&ipp=12
On loan, so it states to 'Ribble Steam Railway'
Taken at NRM, Sept 2003 (according to 'date-stamp')

NRM. Deltic 'Prototype'.JPG

Saw that while out on my ride this morning - it went under the bridge at Church Fenton just as I got there (no time to get my phone out, unfortunately). The crew looked a bit warm on the footplate!
I'll bet they did!!

Didn't go
But.... I did photograph this Box, on my travels
Prince Of Wales Colliery Signal Box, by the level crossing on Skinner Lane (Pontefract)

Looking north-west, towards the RaceCourse, & the M62 (jct 32)
The points ran into the back of the Colliery
Infrastructure. Pontefract. Prince Of Wales. 1.JPG

Looking north-east, towards Monkhill Station
The points were for colliery sidings, where trains could wait for a path, or to be summoned into the Colliery
Infrastructure. Pontefract. Prince Of Wales. 2.JPG

How it looked, 'in the day'
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pontefractheritagegroup/5973717598

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Didn't go
But.... I did photograph this Box, on my travels
Prince Of Wales Colliery, by the level crossing on Skinner Lane (Pontefract)

Looking north-west, towards the RaceCourse, & the M62 (jct 32)
The points ran into the back of the Colliery
View attachment 358755

Looking north-east, towards Monkhill Station
The points were for colliery sidings, where trains could wait for a path, or to be summoned into the Colliery
View attachment 358756

How it looked, 'in the day'
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pontefractheritagegroup/5973717598

I was cycling over the bridge at Church Fenton this morning and saw a plume of steam off to the north of the station, and thought of your post.

So I stopped, and slowly but surely the Flying Scotsman wafted into the station where it stopped to take on water - so I grabbed a few pics

IMG_20170624_093233598_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170624_092528447_HDR.jpg

I then rode off and did a loop of the airfield and when I came back through about half an hour later it was gone, but the water tanker and several photographers were still there. - was something else due through?

Last edited:
I was cycling over the bridge at Church Fenton this morning and saw a plume of steam off to the north of the station, and thought of your post.

So I stopped, and slowly but surely the Flying Scotsman wafted into the station where it stopped to take on water - so I grabbed a few pics

View attachment 358759 View attachment 358760

I then ride off and did a loop of the airfield and when I came back through about half an hour later it was gone, but the water tanker and several photographers were still there. - was something else due through?

Nice!!
Surprisingly quiet though!, unless you'd elbowed through everyone?
No personal knowledge of any others today

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Nice!!
Surprisingly quiet though!, unless you'd elbowed through everyone?
No personal knowledge of any others today

There were a few there taking pics, mainly down on the platforms and on the station footbridge though - another quartet of cyclists stopped on the road bridge and took a few photos.
The train was stood in the station for quite a while (I rode off after about 10 mins and they were showing no sign of being ready to leave) and a couple of guys with pro kit wandered up to where I was stood for a few shots. BTP were there though, so perhaps they were expecting a bigger turnout?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

View attachment 358759 View attachment 358760

I then rode off and did a loop of the airfield and when I came back through about half an hour later it was gone, but the water tanker and several photographers were still there. - was something else due through?
Pedant alert... Flying Scotsman wafted into the station. The engine. The Flying Scotsman was/is a scheduled train service that pre-dates 60103 by some years.

Top Bottom