The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
image.jpeg
Didn't know this thread was here, perhaps someone can enlighten me.
I do a bit of magnet fishing while trundling the canal networks and I found this object in the oggin near where a railway used to run. I'm not sure if the initials are G.W.R or C.W.R.
I thought it might be a branding iron relating to the great western railway?

robjh

Legendary Member
@stedlocks, whereabouts did you find it? If as your location suggests you are at (Bishop's) Stortford then it is unlikely to have anything to do with the Great Western.
In any case, the first letter (on the right in the picture) doesn't appear to have the bar on the bottom side of the open curve that you would expect on a G, so I think it is more likely a C.

Last edited:
There's another thread going on at the moment about 1987, which reminded me of this picture I took in the summer of that year in Leicester. The last of the Peaks still had a few months more to go on the Midland mainline at that time, occasionally standing in for HSTs and hauling parcels trains and the like.
View attachment 376572

I managed to be hauled by forty nine of the fifty 45/1's, missing out on 45147, which was involved in the tragic Eccles rail crash on December 4th 1984, where the driver was killed and two passengers. Good solid locomotives which dominated the Midland Main Line until the mid eighties.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As I recall, the tunnel on the Tissington trail at Ashbourne has a soundtrack of a train, quite eerie

Yes, it's really eerie, been through that one a few years ago, hired bikes and a cycled off along the tissington trail (it was icy at the time) so you can imagine we didn't get far, surprisingly steep in parts considering it's an old railway..

classic33

Leg End Member

robjh

Legendary Member
Saw this beauty on a ride to Southend today, at an antiques centre at Battlesbridge.
20171005 Southend ride (11) Battlesbridge.JPG

It looks like a 6-wheel* carriage, and I guess from its location that it may have come from the Great Eastern*.

*Edit : after a little googling, it seems it may be a 4 wheel carriage built by the GER in the 1890s.

Last edited:
I've probably featured this image before, but it's Scots Guardsman' restarting after a stop at Normanton Station, on the Scarborough Spa Express, but it's worthy of another uploading
Tuesday 17th August 2010
Railways. BR. 46115. Scots Guardsman. 15.JPG

The Station has certainly suffered, I'm not sure of the date of this one, 1970's I think
The line with the DMU, & the one at the other side of the platform are still there, not a scrap of other line remains
The Station buildings are all long-gone, as is the shunters hut
The building linked by the footbridge was the 'Flying Scotsman' pub (used almost as a 'station hotel')

Infrastructure. Stations. Normanton. 1970s.jpg

Not sure, when this was taken, possibly 1930's?
It shows the extent of the layout, a LOT of coal traffic went through the area
For many years it was the 'Crewe of the North'
Our house, is in this picture
The bridge, where I took the picture of 'S-G', is at the very top-right of the image

17155820_10102632663897855_6344733518195640372_n.jpg

Union of South Africa
South Milford junction

Friday 29th August 2008 (date given)

Railways. BR. 60009. Union Of South Africa. 7.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom