Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's just struck me that it's 30 years this month since I first started work, or started my sentence as I have come to think of it. I clocked on, literally, a card in a wall mounted polished wooden cabinet, as a graduate trainee with Rolls-Royce in Derby.
The only thing I can remember about 1987 was Stephen Roche winning his treble.
What else was happening that year ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was working here,
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...y_Park&usg=AFQjCNHWtTA7FI34hMAQ9PPKNn2ydYxSdw

as part of the team that turned the disused 'Ballast' workings into a public park. It was a 'Community Programme' placement of 1yr back in the days when you were paid a wage (£109 a week rising to £119 once I was promoted to 'chargehand')

Best job I ever had.

brucers

Guru
Arsenal (heavy underdogs) beat Liverpool 2-1 in League Cup Final becoming the first team to beat Liverpool when Ian Rush scored. We also memorably knocked Spurs out in the semi final.
I was working at Lambeth Council having started the Monday of a weekend of riots (not 87 though). I walked out of Brixton tube and thought 'bloody hell, what have I let myself in for)?!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
With the aid of Wiki I've refreshed my memory of Coventry City winning the FA Cup. I was a student in Coventry at the time, not a follower of football I well remember the deserted shopping centre that afternoon.

I remember it well being a sky blue lad .

Watch a video and look at the haircuts , even I had hair in those days.

Missed my goal of owning a 911 by the time I was 25 :sad:

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Besides the clocking on machine - your manager had to check your times and initial them at the end of each week ! - the other thing I have to pinch myself about is that, starting in Sept with no savings, within 6 months I'd bought my first house ! A different world.

robjh

Legendary Member
Herald of Free Enterprise disaster (March).
Kings Cross fire (November).
Thatcher wins third election (June).

On a happier note, Mrs rjh (still Miss so-and-so then) and I spent a few days in Orkney in March, travelling on £12 return train tickets from Leicester to Thurso, on a special offer with student railcards at that time.

Top Bottom