Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's just struck me that it's 30 years this month since I first started work, or started my sentence as I have come to think of it. I clocked on, literally, a card in a wall mounted polished wooden cabinet, as a graduate trainee with Rolls-Royce in Derby.
The only thing I can remember about 1987 was Stephen Roche winning his treble.
What else was happening that year ?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I was working here,
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...y_Park&usg=AFQjCNHWtTA7FI34hMAQ9PPKNn2ydYxSdw

as part of the team that turned the disused 'Ballast' workings into a public park. It was a 'Community Programme' placement of 1yr back in the days when you were paid a wage (£109 a week rising to £119 once I was promoted to 'chargehand')

Best job I ever had.

Arsenal (heavy underdogs) beat Liverpool 2-1 in League Cup Final becoming the first team to beat Liverpool when Ian Rush scored. We also memorably knocked Spurs out in the semi final.
I was working at Lambeth Council having started the Monday of a weekend of riots (not 87 though). I walked out of Brixton tube and thought 'bloody hell, what have I let myself in for)?!

With the aid of Wiki I've refreshed my memory of Coventry City winning the FA Cup. I was a student in Coventry at the time, not a follower of football I well remember the deserted shopping centre that afternoon.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
With the aid of Wiki I've refreshed my memory of Coventry City winning the FA Cup. I was a student in Coventry at the time, not a follower of football I well remember the deserted shopping centre that afternoon.

I remember it well being a sky blue lad .

Watch a video and look at the haircuts , even I had hair in those days.

Missed my goal of owning a 911 by the time I was 25 :sad:

Besides the clocking on machine - your manager had to check your times and initial them at the end of each week ! - the other thing I have to pinch myself about is that, starting in Sept with no savings, within 6 months I'd bought my first house ! A different world.

robjh

Legendary Member
Herald of Free Enterprise disaster (March).
Kings Cross fire (November).
Thatcher wins third election (June).

On a happier note, Mrs rjh (still Miss so-and-so then) and I spent a few days in Orkney in March, travelling on £12 return train tickets from Leicester to Thurso, on a special offer with student railcards at that time.

Top Bottom