Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'd just started out in IT, as an operator (IBM 3090/400 and an IBM 3081/KX running MVS as a "preferred guest" under VM, for the geeks out there).

I was on nights, on the night of "the storm" (or, as we northerners knew it, "the bit of a breeze"). We heard all the news reports as we worked overnight.

The next morning, someone on telly said something along the lines of "don't be too smug, those of you in the North, it's headed your way later".

That evening, I walked down Lime Street on my way to work that night's shift. There was a fresh breeze. And that was it.

I bought my first house in 1987, too, a 3-bed semi for less than half of the cost of the extension I'm currently having built.

classic33

Leg End Member
I watched my job go up in smoke.
Jumples Mill 87.jpg

@Flick of the Elbow, if you want to clock on there, the doors are to the right. Down five steps outside the building and go through the door one step in front. Door opened to the right. Three steps, followed by 12 steps down, turn right at the foot & eight more steps would have you at the clocking in machine.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was applying to university.

On the other hand, this day in 1996 was my last day without permanent paid employment - and my next one is on Sunday.

Tim Hall

I was on holiday in Zermatt with plans to climb a mountain. News of the Hungerford shooting came through.

Edit: not on holiday for the whole of 1987, obvs.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did the 179 miles to Holyhead, the cycled a further 135 down to Ennis, via Killaloe.

A few weeks later I did the return trip.

The floods in North wales 18 months later stopped any more trips.

With the aid of Wiki I've refreshed my memory of Coventry City winning the FA Cup. I was a student in Coventry at the time, not a follower of football I well remember the deserted shopping centre that afternoon.

Being Coventry born and bred (someone has to be) I remember cycling down empty roads immediately after the match, and into city centre where it was, understandably, crazy!

Was also the year I got married, first time round. 2014 much better year in that regard

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was 25; had 5 years service with Strathclyde Polis; lived in a horrible little Barratt flat; was going out with one of the girls from the Greenock office typing pool; had recently given up motorbikes (to be resumed a few years later) and had sold one of these .......
CBX750_Lon.jpg

And replaced it with one of these.......

61fdbb2be0e7bf2598e01c497bfede65.jpg

Was riding one of these:

s-l300.jpg

Top Bottom