Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
My father became terminally ill, although that wasn't apparent at the time.
We cowered in the living room after the hurricane blew 2 windows in, showering the kids with glass, and the flat zinc roof ended up 5 gardens away.
I drove home through that storm, over a carpet of tree debris. I thought it seemed a bit windy at the time.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was 25; had 5 years service with Strathclyde Polis; lived in a horrible little Barratt flat; was going out with one of the girls from the Greenock office typing pool; had recently given up motorbikes (to be resumed a few years later) and had sold one of these ....... View attachment 376076

And replaced it with one of these.......

View attachment 376077

Was riding one of these:

View attachment 376078

Think ive told you this already @Brandane
I had a black cbx750 in 88, very nice ride, traded it for a Genesis 750..

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A few awesome Rock albums came out that year that I bought from Our Price in either Wimbledon or Sutton

Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Def Leppard - Hysteria
and of course
Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction - Tattooed Beat Messiah

Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction - my favourite album ever

Def Leppard - Hysteria - another favourite.

I was 14-15 in 1987 I spent most of that year fishing and chasing girls. I was more successful at the fishing.

1987 December i started a job just to see me through Christmas...just left today 29 years and 9 months later...couldn't quite settle^_^

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I finally managed to give up smoking after trying for about 3 years to do so. I still remember pulling on my last ever cigarette in the pub on Friday 30th January, smoking it as close to the filter as I could get it, because I knew I was going to make a really determined effort this time - haven't smoked since.

Everton won the league, for the 9th time in their history and 4th (and probably last) time in my lifetime. How our fortunes have changed!

I remember the storm; a couple of weeks later, me and Mrs R went to stay the weekend with some friends who had moved down south. It was early November, Remembrance Day weekend, and we had a great day in London on the Saturday. Some of the damage from the storm was still evident and I recall a section of a tree trunk being impaled on some railings somewhere in Central London, and we still have a photo of my wife and my mate's wife stood either side of a Chelsea pensioner we got talking to, in his immaculate uniform. Can't really remember much about the Sunday, but we didn't hear any news, and it was only the following day, Monday, as we listened to the radio when we drove home that we learned of the horror of the Enniskillen bomb atrocity.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Signed off from the buroo in sunny Leith and started working for the DHSS, also in Leith.
This was the time and place in which trainspotting was set. One week you'd be arguing with a junkie looking for a crisis loan, next week you'd hear he'd become another victim of the AIDS epidemic.
I decided to stick it out for as long as it took to find a better job. I was made redundant in 2008.

damj

Good - Gates and Gabbiadini
Bad - unemployment
Down right terrible - Thatcher wins election again New rules mean 55 people have dole cut with more to come.jpg Weekly Bucket - May 19 - May 25 _ Getty Images.jpg Thatcher's 1987 General Election Landslide - 25 Years On ___.jpg

Top Bottom