The Supression of Fear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

Another weird one from me. Watching this special forces training crap on BBC1 and it made me wonder about fear.

So this leads me on to the Supression of fear, or anxiety. It must be a very liberating experience to fear nothing. However, I'm well aware that this isn't entirely possible and that individuals that experience this, often fall foul of the law at best.

So, can fear be suppressed? Theoretically, it's a build up or thoughts, which string together to create an outcome which may not be desirable and ultimately the unknown outcome causes fear. Yet we are able to suppress anger, joy, envy and every other emotion that we are able to experience. So why is fear so hard to battle?

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Another weird one from me. Watching this special forces training crap on BBC1 and it made me wonder about fear.

I suffer (privately) with anxiety. I sum up every situation and plan an outcome, before it ever happens. I control it quite well, but it's a right pain in the tits.

So this leads me on to the Supression of fear, or anxiety. It must be a very liberating experience to fear nothing. However, I'm well aware that this isn't entirely possible and that individuals that experience this, often fall foul of the law at best.

So, can fear be suppressed? Theoretically, it's a build up or thoughts, which string together to create an outcome which may not be desirable and ultimately the unknown outcome causes fear. Yet we are able to suppress anger, joy, envy and every other emotion that we are able to experience. So why is fear so hard to battle?

Thoughts on this?

I have no idea what TV show you are referring to - link?

Fear and anxiety would be different things, in my dictionary - fear being related to simple, immediate issues (pain, suffering, death, violence), anxiety to longer term, complex issues (financial difficulty, being a good father/husband/friend).

Do you mean the latter or former?

We have a limited ability to control any of our emotions, but more complex anxieties are a different issue entirely.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It really depends on the individual surely and what coping mechanisms you put in place and also the circumstances.

I know from personal experience that there are numerous things i fear yet i have been in situations where there was no time to even feel that emotion despite it being something i would normally be scared of.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

I have no idea what TV show you are referring to - link?

Fear and anxiety would be different things, in my dictionary - fear being related to simple, immediate issues (pain, suffering, death, violence), anxiety to longer term, complex issues (financial difficulty, being a good father/husband/friend).

Do you mean the latter or former?

We have a limited ability to control any of our emotions, but more complex anxieties are a different issue entirely.

Sorry, anxiety to me is apprehension, whilst fear is the possibility of falling into real danger.

I'd like to discuss both, because they, in my mind, can be suppressed to a degree.

For me, and in relation to the programme I watched (iPlayer - special forces experience or similar) with previous expriences, I believe it has heightened my sense of apprehension and ultimately my anxiety towards almost every situation. I don't think I've ever experienced true fear, well maybe. But I don't think it would ever cause me to cower and double over.

I personally find the Supression of emotions quite complex. For instance, suppression of envy usually causes anger. But I'm sure that's the case for many.

Anyway, I digress. Can you supress fear and anxiety? How do you?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm a planner but i like to take opportunities as they come along. However i can see how over planning or over thinking could cause anxiety to some and i know it's not just a case of saying chill out.

Is it not a case of realising that what you maybe doing ie over thinking is whats making you feel fear or anxiety rather than being afraid of what may actually happen ?

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Oh yeah, that's comfort zone training. I've had lots of experience with it, but unfortunately it collapses soon after you remove the mechanism of expansion.

Tin Pot

Guru
Sorry, anxiety to me is apprehension, whilst fear is the possibility of falling into real danger.

I'd like to discuss both, because they, in my mind, can be suppressed to a degree.

For me, and in relation to the programme I watched (iPlayer - special forces experience or similar) with previous expriences, I believe it has heightened my sense of apprehension and ultimately my anxiety towards almost every situation. I don't think I've ever experienced true fear, well maybe. But I don't think it would ever cause me to cower and double over.

I personally find the Supression of emotions quite complex. For instance, suppression of envy usually causes anger. But I'm sure that's the case for many.

Anyway, I digress. Can you supress fear and anxiety? How do you?

Okay, so suppression I believe is the wrong way to control emotions - it's the "la-la this isn't happening" approach, where I would suggest you're more successful in acknowledging the feeling, setting it aside and moving on.

Truly suppressing fear - not feeling the dfear at all - I think could only be done temporarily through adrenaline or drugs. That numb sensation you get when something terrifying is happening, but you can think clearly. That can't last though - you go into shock.

Acknowledging that something is terrifying and dangerous, but rationally deciding that it's still the best course of action is something you need to practice - courage under fire is learned, is it not?

---

Corollary: I am more and more aware that I don't actually know how I'm feeling most of the time. So I might not be the best to ask. I might see a doctor about it. :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3880667, member: 76"]Oh, I should add, there will always be something that comes along to scare you, the point of the programme this evening was the sea scares people, so they get used to it. I am not suggesting that scared people just need to pull themselves together![/QUOTE]

Fear is a good thing, after all.

colly

Re member eR
Fear is good for us. We would never have evolved much above bugs were it not for recognising what will harm us and staying away from it. Anxiety is natural too, we get anxious about things we don't have control over, situations, genuine physical risks and so on.
The problem for some is when the fear and anxiety become so overwhelming that they prevent normal functioning.
In extreme situations fear can be overcome, probably by anyone, if the circumstances dictate.

Top Bottom