The Supression of Fear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Surely everyone will suffer fear, i mean if a guy starts shooting a gun at you, your going to have an adrenaline rush and it's either fight or run, it's still fear generated....no? a competent and confident person will handle it different to a not so confident.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Is that fear though?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
[QUOTE 3880723, member: 76"]Oh yes, that's the tip of the iceberg! It is the latest Big Thing, and I have heard of therapists who suggest it for everything.[/QUOTE]
It's worrying that the NHS seem to be rushing the training for a therapy they are offering.

Hill Wimp

Surely everyone will suffer fear, i mean if a guy starts shooting a gun at you, your going to have an adrenaline rush and it's either fight or run, it's still fear generated....no? a competent and confident person will handle it different to a not so confident.
That's not quite true. It's surprising who cope well in fight or flight. It's not always the ones you think will be ok that come through.

sight-pin

Veteran
That's not quite true. It's surprising who cope well in fight or flight. It's not always the ones you think will be ok that come through.
True, but the adrenaline rush is i would of thought still generated by fear, i mean your not going to be ecstatic that someone is shooting at you unless your expecting it like being in a war zone etc

Hill Wimp

True, but the adrenaline rush is i would of thought still generated by fear, i mean your not going to be ecstatic that someone is shooting at you unless your expecting it like being in a war zone etc
No thats true but some very able and confident people really do go to pieces in fight or flight senarios. They may have the adrenalin rush but can't use it to fight or flee. They may have even been in similar situations before but this time they can't operate.

sight-pin

Veteran
It's still not all that fun.

No thats true but some very able and confident people really do go to pieces in fight or flight senarios. They may have the adrenalin rush but can't use it to fight or flee. They may have even been in similar situations before but this time they can't operate.

Yes i realise that, it's just i'm saying everyone must suffer fear, it's just some can handle it where others can't

Hill Wimp

Fear is good as others have said, it's how you use that emotion and control it that counts. Everybody suffers it if course, i would worry if i didn't.

I have a collegue that catastrophises and he knows he does it and has therapy for it. His mind is always 50 steps ahead of everyone else and to see him go through it in some very normal situations is exhausting let alone high pressure situations. I do feel for him, it's debilitating.

Tin Pot

Guru
It's still not all that fun.

But that's the point isn't it? If people are trying to kill you, you should be afraid. Pretending that there is nothing to be afraid of is only going to work if you are exceptionally stupid. And then you'll be too stupid to think of pretending.

Accept the fear and make space for rational thought.

Top Bottom