The Supression of Fear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sight-pin

Veteran
Isn't that suppressing the fear then?
No, that's accepting it....it's also basically the only cure for anxiety driven illnesses

Tin Pot

Guru
Isn't that suppressing the fear then?

No - the thought process for me would be something like.

1. Fcuk me, the adrenaline is pumping and I'm feeling sick
2. Why am I feeling like this?
3. Because you hate flying - someone else has complete control over whether you live or die for the next 12hrs and there is fark all you can do about it
4. Oh well, that makes sense. Let's hope they know what they're doing, given that they do it all the time.
5. How about a beer and a movie then or eyeing up the air hostess until it's over?

Works until the first bout of severe turbulence anyway ;)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
For instance, suppression of envy usually causes anger. But I'm sure that's the case for many.

I learned years ago that you usually get what you make of life/what you work for (up to a point)/if you just happen to be in the right place at the right time, so as such, I don't get envious of people. To me it is such a childish emotion.

That said, seeing liars, thieves, cheats and frauds get what they don't deserve just annoys me, but is that envy, or is it just being annoyed??
I am not very materialistic, so unless I see something unfair first hand that I know I could have changed, I usually don't think about it anyway.

Snakes. Now thats cold blooded fear for me and i know i can't supress that fear so i have to get myself out of the situation that involves them.
Accept the fear and make space for rational thought.

You know you can get therapy for that?? Why let it control your life??

I have a certain, fairly innocuous phobia, but at the same time, I know it is a load of nonsense, so I just try to ignore it as much as I can (yes, granted it isn't perceived to be dangerous in the first place).

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I learned years ago that you usually get what you make of life/what you work for (up to a point)/if you just happen to be in the right place at the right time, so as such, I don't get envious of people. To me it is such a childish emotion.

That said, seeing liars, thieves, cheats and frauds get what they don't deserve just annoys me, but is that envy, or is it just being annoyed??

You know you can get therapy for that?? Why let it control your life??

I have a certain, fairly innocuous phobia, but at the same time, I know it is a load of nonsense, so I just try to ignore it as much as I can (yes, granted it isn't perceived to be dangerous in the first place).
If snakes start to become an every day occurrence I'll get help, until then I'll avoid them.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

In hindsight, suppression wasn't the best word to use. However, I wanted to get the point across, that it can be suppressed, accepted etc. without using the word 'coping' as it's just not the word I would want to use to describe my own rationale for fear.

But yes, 'ways in which fear can be controlled' would have been better.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think anxiety is a far harder thing to deal with - I can't, anyway.

Anxiety builds in me for all sorts of reasons, from being out of work to simply being indoors all day.

I don't think a simple tactical response will work, you need a broader strategy...maybe even a whole life strategy; outlook, nutrition, activity, relationships, etc. I'm working on a holistic model at the moment - I'll let you know if it looks viable.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

If someone asked me how I was doing with respect to a problem. There would be 1 of 2 replies.

1. Yeah, i'm dealing with it. Everything is fine.

2. This is bollocks, I've no idea what's going on.

If I was to say that I was coping with the problem, it would imply that I was somewhere between the 2. That's a place I wouldn't personally like to be in. But that's me, that's my thought process.

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

I think anxiety is a far harder thing to deal with - I can't, anyway.

Anxiety builds in me for all sorts of reasons, from being out of work to simply being indoors all day.

I don't think a simple tactical response will work, you need a broader strategy...maybe even a whole life strategy; outlook, nutrition, activity, relationships, etc. I'm working on a holistic model at the moment - I'll let you know if it looks viable.

Absolutely. Often removing yourself from the situation seems to work. But that depends on the complexity of the issue, and to whether it's a feasible option to continue to function correctly as an adult and a member of society.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
If someone asked me how I was doing with respect to a problem. There would be 1 of 2 replies.

1. Yeah, i'm dealing with it. Everything is fine.

2. This is bollocks, I've no idea what's going on.

If I was to say that I was coping with the problem, it would imply that I was somewhere between the 2. That's a place I wouldn't personally like to be in. But that's me, that's my thought process.
Ok I think I get you but in that case coping is better than " I have no idea what's going on" and hopefully on the way to " yeah I'm dealing with it ".

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If snakes start to become an every day occurrence I'll get help, until then I'll avoid them.

Copp out!! What about the unexpected situations where you cannot escape?? :whistle:

Someone leaving a trench to advance towards the enemy in WW1, or someone facing a life or death operation in the morning has fear. Does that make them a weakling?

What was it Harry Patch said??

'Anybody who said they weren't scared was a bloody liar!'

Or something to that effect.

Top Bottom