The Transcontinental Race 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Kristoff willhave won this by 500km from his nearest rival - Dunnett innit.
2 stones!!! The gall of it!

iLB

Hello there
I'd guess that Rimas is heading to Szeged then likely Arad, Lugoj and through the foot hills to Orșova.

If he goes to Arad he'll see plenty of terrible communist era architecture and be about 18km from my gaff in Romania, Siria. If he carries on towards Lipova and into the mountains he is in for a treat.

No, he's only shaved his Balkans in a zigzag manner.:whistle:

Thats Deptford's finest Istanbullocks.

Anyway, before KA piles into the Suleymanoglu Arms for a swift Guinness, here's the final sprint situation:
KA big map.JPG

KA.JPG

DSC03069-e1344251541225-580x333.jpg

Deserved. +10 :thumbsup:

Must be there now...

Edited to say that KA must have run into trouble in search for that Guinness. There was a long weight at the Suleymanoglu Arms so he went here for a quick one before the finish line...
james-joyce-irish-pub.jpg

James Joyce Irish Pub
Istiklal Caddesi, Balo Sokak 26, Istanbul, Turkey (Sirkeci)
Sounds a bit naff but...
“Rubbish. Avoid.”
x.gif
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile
What a terrible pub. Rude, slow service. Stinking dirty toilets, menu falling apart, hate to think how the kitchen looked. Whole place needs to be cleaned and given a face lift. Very dark and dingy inside. Ordered a Guinness and gin tonic on a quiet night, my friend and I were sat up in a back corner alone then waited 15 minutes for drink to arrive. Then given a bowl of stale chips/crisps which we refused but the put on our bill. Staff were rude, unhelpful and generally lazy. Female staff were horrible to us when we sent crips back, males did not seem to know what they were doing. The area this is in has 20+ places to eat and drink just of Taksim, so you would think they would be competitive not rubbish. But they are! Oh and be careful of the high stools at the bar. All broken! Good elsewhere.
Visited May 2013

Gui Rimas!

KA is off the map...Winner! :thumbsup:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Kristoff's had a mechanical, 100m from the line, and it may take 3 days to fix it apparently

Lol! You may pay for that Rich. Kristof's only favorite on Twitter is the link to this thread. ;)

Fantastic race and can't wait to read everyone's individual accounts of it, very inspiring. LEL2017 for me? Maybe. ;)

LEL2017 for me? Maybe not. I will continue with the IPA weekly series, where one can easily come thirst if racing and equally easily say 'I'm off foam', should the race not be to your taste. Even Andy Allsopp's book of 2009 'Barring Mechanicals' did not get me motivated for 2013. Actually, I bought two of the first copies when the book was published, which were duly delivered from Lulu. On the way out of town that evening, I went shopping in Camden Town Sainsburys and left them in a wire basket at the checkout. I trust that the finder + friend did the event last month...let me know. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Mikko! :smile:)
Anyway. Morning Rimas. No point in saying good morning to Kristof - he's not there...gone for a Sunday Istanbul Ride and will meet under the Arch as usual...
istanbul_destination.jpg

Judging by the punishment tarrifs dished out in parts of the East, there may well be more than one café stop called 'Look Mum No Hands' I suppose, but seriously, can you imagine the satisfaction of completing that journey. Shall I say it again? P.H.E.N.O.M.E.N.A.L. Every rider is. Speed is one thing, but overall it is a test of spirit and endurance. As I look at the maps on screen, giving us the various rider positions more or less, I keep thinking 'oh they'll be ok as they are not far from each other and there will be a bit of bonhomie, mutual support on sight of a friendly face etc' but on closer inspection, "side by side" means 40kms apart...sigh.
First guesstimate today shows a gap of 280kms from RD to MW, who looks to be making good progress. Then 80kms behind him, EP, with a further 40kms to JJ. So that trio are still 'together' :smile:
CH has gone 'off the Zadar' and taken the ferry from Italy's hamstring across the Adrianatic. Nice to see the variations of route, and as Abs mentions, the write-ups will be illuminating to say the least. This week, the riders will be up against the clock, as well as themselves and the terrain, which may make things slightly more hectic!
So, our man Rimas has had a good nap, and is now underway, through the lower part of Romania, biting into his remaining 800 kms before planting the CycleChat flag on top of his personal Everest. (We're expecting a photo or two, Rimas..and you, Kristof! :smile:) Rimas is still 'running parallel' with EJ...they are just about 200kms apart, that's all!
"Du-te, Rimas!" (That's Romanian for 'go'!)

Top Bottom