The Transcontinental Race 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
10km for Matthew to go. He'll be there in time for last orders and the suite course - very civilized!
Rimas is nearly at the Bulgarian border. Dos he use Twitter? I've been told that bulgar tweet is good for you:wacko:
Bulgar off, Rich. Meanwhile...back at The Danube (can't imagine I'll ever write that again in my remaining days!)
Rimas ferry.JPG

Whatever floats your boat, Rimas...Go. You'll be in the 'Bul for the midweek morning market.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We're assuming there's a ferry there cos there ain't a bridge. That would be a Turnu(p) for the books!

One for the album ^_^
Rimas ferry DAnube crop.jpg

We now know that a N -S ferry leaves about half past six, seven, whatever...Bulgarian time.

And Matthew Wilkins has just crossed the finish line! (Well, he must have done.) :bravo:

And I think RG has a slight advantage over EJ, and MM on their final run-in...once again, the beauty of a pancake flat PC screen and many continents on a 17cm wide map. This riding lark - it's as easy as falling off a...Where's Rimas? His boat has been stuck in the middle for ten minutes now. (Unless, of course, he got fed up with me pressing his button and has 'refreshed' himself!)

^ Ha ha - forgot that possibility. Maybe he fought off a freshwater shark mid-stream, which would explain the stasis.
Okay, Rimas didn't sink without trace, and all's well for the run in to Rumeli Hisari. AKA 'Fortress Allegaert' (until someone beats that time anyway...)
I predict Rimas for Wednesday morning and Ed Jones for Wed too - the late afternoon. Also, I think Ed Pickup might rest up and enjoy the ride into town in daylight tomorrow morning, and be followed later in the day by James Jordan, who is riding in pretty high indicated temperatures 94F - 15F higher than Ed P is shivering in. :smile: What a great feeling all these riders must be getting as they approach the finish. I would write a book. "Put Me Back On My Beer" although a more appropriate book title/epithet might be " I May Be Some Time".

Go (to bed) Rimas! Tomorrow is another day.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Istanbul and Back (lava) - a ride with int eruptions.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We now know that a N -S ferry leaves about half past six, seven, whatever...Bulgarian time.
Google-fu* says that there are two ferries a day - one at 9:30 am and one at 5:30pm. But they might go more often if they feel like it. A tired Lithuanian in lycra clearly goes a long way in Romania.

If he'd gone 10 miles further along the Danube there was a more frequent ferry, and a bridge another 20 miles on. But he didn't need to! (Yes, I was looking that up while he was in the terminal).
And I think RG has a slight advantage over EJ, and MM on their final run-in...once again, the beauty of a pancake flat PC screen and many continents on a 17cm wide map.

A slight distance advantage, and a big terrain advantage. He'll have done the longest distance by some way of the finishers so far when he gets to Istanbul.

*there are some benefits to time mispent in P&L.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
*there are some benefits to time mispent in P&L.
Go on then, I've wracked my brains enough:thumbsup:

It looks like Ed P is going to make a dash for home tonight in case anyone sneaks past while he's bivvying; in favour of bevvying in the IstanBull's Head. Good lad!
Ataboy Rimas!

^_^
"Morning Rimas, morning riders of the continent, fellow cyclechatters, my manager, stylist...parents?"
Right ho, I thought about Rimas being in need of a sleep after a busy day's cycling so I decided to spy on him last night.
Here's a snapshot of RG making progress after his swim across the Danube - at 10:15pm 'our' time:
Rimas Monday night ten to ten pm.JPG

and next, at 05:15 this morning:
Rimas Tuesday morning quarter past five.JPG

Scintillating stuff eh - the letter 'z' prevailing.:thumbsup: However, I noticed that the data panels on the right remain the same. I did this exercise for the main map, but the two snapshots remained similar...probably I had zoomed out too far for any progressive trails to be formed. Never mind. (Let me know if you want to see them...it would be the visual equivalent of a John Cage concert!)
Also, I think Ed Pickup might rest up and enjoy the ride into town in daylight tomorrow morning,
I do talk some rubbish - he steamed into Istanbulville last night without further ado...
Unlike M'learned friend Lord Lush of Brighton
It looks like Ed P is going to make a dash for home tonight in case anyone sneaks past while he's bivvying;
You are too astute, Rich and are hereby condemned to a stint in P&L forthwith...
0d3d12a5163ee420b496d61d7288c3c5_normal.jpeg
The Transcontinental@transconrace
3h
Ed Pickup @pickupel finished in 9d 16h 41m

Expand
Rimas has got a decent 70F temperature to ride in at the moment and has 400k to go...will he be the next to confound my predictions by 'doing a Rimas' or will he go rideabout one last time and arrive tomorrow morning like he is supposed to do according to Old Aperitif's Almanack? The rest of the field are yawning, scratching and setting off - quiet so far, and my instinct was to pick up Brian Welsh's 'pin' and stick it in on the other side of the River Adrian...but that wouldn't be right, would it?!:smile:
Right, more Columbian drinking powder now, and a bit more perusal of Rimas' race against his rivals. By the way, Rimas, you will be pleased to know that England won The Ashes...cricket? You know, when you're in you're out in the middle taking guard...No? Oh never mind...
Go Rimas!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Having nothing better to do, I have idly counted the kms done, and to go, for Rimas and JJ, and some others
James J 3004
Rimas G 3045
Ed P 2954
Ed Jones 2817
Kristof A 2980

So, Rimas has done more than the others assuming the projection is right, but not by as much as one might think. Possibly lumpier though skirting Slovenia.

Hmm yes, 'assuming the projection is right...' now get downstairs you! :smile:
At the risk of being buhring, I was focussing on the dynamic duo in sunny Serbia (not too opressive a temperature actually - mid -60Fs at the moment)
Juliana and Nicholas are 'so near yet so far'.
JB NP.jpg

...it's like a cycling version of 'Brief Encounter' building in my imagination. Time for a tablet nurse etc - don't say it.

Top Bottom