The worst tyres you've ever had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Giant P-SL2. Bought 'nearly new' (obviously had been swapped out by someone who 'knew', and then sold to muggins). Carcasse failure (symptom bulge in sidewall, eventually fouling fork) after a few hundred km. And the one on the rear went in exactly similar fashion, 1000km later. Compare this with their replacements - Conti 4S - the last set of which did 8000+km on the front and 5000 on the rear, with only two pinch flats on the rear in that time. 'Rollingresistance'. :popcorn:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The bike came with Vittoria Zaffiros that lasted about six weeks. Strangely enough, I've always been a big fan of Vittoria Rubinos. About a tenner, OK ride, and they cope with most of the nasties that litter the London tarmac.

Rubino's are fine. It's the Rubino Pro Slick version that's like being on an ice rink.

Specialized Espoir Sport, they seem to be a magnet for punctures out of the box.
  • Bad puncture protection
  • Thin wall material
  • Quick wearing
  • I have nothing nice to say about them, even when they were free I took them off asap

I forgot about those. Abysmal things - I had a free pair on the Secteur for about a week before they both gained 'bubbles' in under 100 miles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The bike came with Vittoria Zaffiros that lasted about six weeks. Strangely enough, I've always been a big fan of Vittoria Rubinos. About a tenner, OK ride, and they cope with most of the nasties that litter the London tarmac.
Yeah. What really bugs me is that Zaffiros are usually the same price as Rubinos, so why the hell are so many bikes sold with inferior Zaffiros on? Presumably someone must like them... maybe someone who doesn't ride on English roads.

Nope. I switched to Marathons (regular aka greenguard) and it's a lovely smooth gentle ride... Anyone who says Marathons feel dead has probably never tried Armadillos.

Bad luck finding rain in Norfolk on Saturday ;) We rode 100km and found one light shower!

Didn't actually rain.but the roads were still pretty wet especially early on and farmer Palmer had left some nice mud around too.

Top Bottom