The worst tyres you've ever had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Not sure what they are, apart from thinking maybe Michelin?, as they got thrown out ages ago, but it's this pair that are just visible in the edge of the shot
Fine in the dry, but slippery as hell in anything from just damp, to monsoon

Yellow Bike. 5.JPG

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for the Conti Ultrashort being rubbish. Look the business on a new bike but punctures first couple of trips meant straight back to 4Seasons and GP4000

A friend went to a decent LBS and was sold some "Made in Thailand" tyres which were down to canvas in under a couple of weeks

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Racing Ralphs on my MTB, supplied on new bike. I think they got punctures from blades of grass.

The curse of original equipment may have struck again.

A mate of mine reckons the Rapid Robs supplied on his new MTB are inferior to the Rapid Robs he bought for his other bike.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Bontrager Hardcase. Rolling in glue, and not much puncture protection either. Kills the ride.

I'm running the AW3s at the moment & love them few thousand miles, through all seasons with no issues at all.
My worst tyre is Gatorskids? Maybe it was due to all the hype of them being 'the best' winter tyre for a road bike. No grip on damp or wet roads, & 3 visits from the fairy in 2 months, the 3rd being a fatal one which killed the tyre sidewall :sad: Replaced with another & after 4 months, I noticed a small bulge & the sidewall was coming apart. made a good swing in the garden though for the dogs & kids :laugh:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I had one of the first iterations the Specialized's Armadillo road tyres - they made any bike feel like it was riding on wooden cartwheels.
Ha! Another vote from me. I have one of those (only one) on my cooking bike. It was a distress purchase after ripping the sidewall of whatever was fitted at the time. The problem isn't their puncture resistance; the things are f******* indestructible. But then so are anthrax spores. Only marginally better than riding on naked rims.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Every Specialized tyre l've had has delaminated after less than 3K miles. Nimbus Armadillos came with my Sirrus, at least when they fell to bits I could replace them with something less bone jarringly hard.
Roubaix Armadillos came with my Roubaix. Not quite as uncomfortable as the Nimbus, but equally dangerous due to the failure mode.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Kenda Kontenders - supplied with my Giant SCR2. Nice and grippy, rolled beautifully, but punctured with such frequency that I commuted carrying four spare tubes.

Honourable mention for the wire-on Continental Gatorskin (25c) I put on the same bike. Rolled beautifully at the recommended pressure, had good puncture protection, but an appalling lack of grip. The only tyre I've managed to wheelspin pulling away from the traffic lights.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
vittoria rubino slicks (wired version); bought cheap and pretty much ruined a rim getting them on. didn't last long. normal rubinos are excellent though…

They've all got me from A to B in pretty much the same fashion but I do seem to prefer 23s to 25s.

probably my least favourite were the expensive Conti GP 4000 S pair that I once had. I liked the aesthetic a lot but they seemed to puncture several times a week in the year I had them. Got through a ton of inner tubes. Went for a pair of Michelin Oriums after that - £14 the pair from Decathlon, which were nothing special but they never punctured.

bb

The Vittoria Barzos I have on the new mountain bike are proving pretty crappy in mud. Definitely slippy slidey.
When they wear out I'm back to the old standby of Panaracer Fire XC Pros.

Difficult decision! Do I go for the red sidewalls on a green bike? Hmmm...

Top Bottom