Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Exchange rags or metal with the rag n bone man for a donkey stone

You're going to have to help me with that one.

I used to have a Saturday job with the milkman. He had a three wheel electric float that was very old even then. He used it so he could start before 7 AM.
Many of the older customers left a slate or roof tile next to where the milk was to be left. This was so you leave it on top of the bottles to stop the blue tits pecking through the (silver) foil top and stealing the cream.

Ooh, there you go. There's another. Arguing with your siblings as to who was going to get the cream from the top of the milk on their cereal.

Stripey top (semi skimmed, homogenised) killed off this little tradition.

You're going to have to help me with that one.

I used to have a Saturday job with the milkman. He had a three wheel electric float that was very old even then. He used it so he could start before 7 AM.
Many of the older customers left a slate or roof tile next to where the milk was to be left. This was so you leave it on top of the bottles to stop the blue tits pecking through the (silver) foil top and stealing the cream.

Ooh, there you go. There's another. Arguing with your siblings as to who was going to get the cream from the top of the milk on their cereal.

Stripey top (semi skimmed, homogenised) killed off this little tradition.

I to was a under paid milk boy riding around on a three wheeler
The rag n bone man used to give a donkey stone in return for rags/metal
the donkey stone was used to whiten the front door step this was a sign of a clean house and pride
I guess it was made out of white chalk mix .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wake up in the morning and collect the milk bottles off the door step
Another one here that still has milk delivered. Whenever we get supermarket milk it tastes bland and has no cream on the top even if it's labelled as full fat. Anyone know why?

Something silly I and a few schoolmates used to do was to stick a drawing pin or two in the heel of the shoes so as to strike sparks by touching a foot down while riding.

Slioch

Guru
Watch Scotland playing in the finals of the World Cup, singing "we're on the march with Ally's army..........."
^_^

Padraig

On a Saturday, queue up outside the pictures for the ABC Minors' Matinee. Also known as the threepenny rush. The queue was kept in order by a chap in an absolutely splendid uniform, quite over the top with fancy epaulettes. Once inside, we saw episodes of Batman (an old black and white production many years old, even then), Charlie Chan, Flash Gordon (I seem to remember enslaved men shovelling radium into the atomic furnace, or some such nonsense), various cowboy and red Indian serials, whence we became familiar with all the cliches of that genre (paleface speak with forked tongue, etc). Before the show, though, a large Wurlitzer organ used to come up through the floor. A compere known as Uncle Bob would lead us in some community singing, to the accompaniment of a bouncing ball which highlighted the words on a screen. One number I recall was: "We're minors of the ABC." The audience were quite unruly, and used to stamp and whistle a lot, either if there was a break in the programme, or if the villain appeared. It was not unknown to arrive home with chewing gum in one's hair, thrown from the circle. The solution to this would have been to sit in the circle ourselves, but that never occurred to us.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Covered in goosebumps while doggy paddling around in Uxbridge's unheated open air swimming pool in April, and kidding myself that I was having fun.

Top Bottom