Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Going to buy a gallon of pink paraffin for the heater at home.
Had to go to the local hardware store where they had a huge tank behind the counter.
We had a couple of those heaters. They used to leave the windows dripping with condensation but the burnt parafin smelled rather pleasant. Lord knows how the house didn't burn down. I think that the later models had some self-extinguishing mechanism which snuffed out the flame if you managed to kick it over.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Stand for the national anthem which was played in the cinema at the end of the film.
Joining the stampede for the exit as the credits started to roll to avoid having to stand for the national anthem.

swansonj

Guru
Stand for the national anthem which was played in the cinema at the end of the film.
As "recently" as my student years, I remember a massive argument. We were putting on Iolanthe for one of the reserved student weeks at the local professional theatre. The Director wanted to break with tradition and not play the national anthem before the overture; the MD (who had, as MDs were wont to do, done his own super-fancy arrangement of the anthem, in which it was almost impossible to discern the tune) refused. I think we played it on the last night only or something in the end.

Mind you, we can't have been too traditional, because we also did a Marat-Sade with an all-nude male cast and lots of simulated sex...

Top Bottom