Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh, FFS - and you wonder why people rip off software instead of buying it ... Your stupid digital rights management system is absolutely doing my effing head in! :cursing:

I spend lots of money buying digital maps. I download nearly 10 GB of map data but still struggle to get the damn thing to work properly without the software 'phoning home' whenever it feels like it to either check that I am legit or to grab more copies of data that I probably already have!

It is fine for the software to do a quick download when I am connected to a 15 Mb/s broadband link, but I want to be able to use these maps on mobile devices in the middle of nowhere with no Internet connection available.

I just want to put the maps that I have paid for on the devices that I have legitimate licences for and then be free to use them offline. How bloody difficulty should THAT be? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! :wacko:

And as for support telling me to redownload the 10GB ... Your bloody system keeps trying to get me to buy the maps again - give me a download link that does not involve me going through your online shop! :banghead:

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh, FFS - and you wonder why people rip off software instead of buying it ... Your stupid digital rights management system is absolutely doing my effing head in! :cursing:

I spend lots of money buying digital maps. I download nearly 10 GB of map data but still struggle to get the damn thing to work properly without the software 'phoning home' whenever it feels like it to either check that I am legit or to grab more copies of data that I probably already have!

It is fine for the software to do a quick download when I am connected to a 15 Mb/s broadband link, but I want to be able to use these maps on mobile devices in the middle of nowhere with no Internet connection available.

I just want to put the maps that I have paid for on the devices that I have legitimate licences for and then be free to use them offline. How bloody difficulty should THAT be? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! :wacko:

And as for support telling me to redownload the 10GB ... Your bloody system keeps trying to get me to buy the maps again - give me a download link that does not involve me going through your online shop! :banghead:
OS?

ColinJ

Memory Map's all-GB OS maps.

I bought the 1:50,000 (Landranger) version on DVD and that was a simple installation and works perfectly.

I bought the download version of the 1:25,000 (Explorer) map to save money and it has been a right headache. It looks like it is working until I scroll the map away from where I have been before and then it plays silly buggers. It also doesn't like me changing the zoom level. I am looking at a certain part of the country and all is well until I try and zoom in to see more detail ... Hang on while it goes to download more data. Oh, I am offline - nevermind, I can always stare at random pixellated blocks instead!

I'll probably sort it out eventually, but it really should not be this complicated.

(PS We have done the paper OS maps discussion plenty of times, before someone suggests that option! I decided that £75 for the whole country was a better deal than £2,000+ :okay:)

subaqua

What’s the point
I hate you. and you will find a cold lifeless body in the morning .but you crack on with games on your phone.

been nice knowing you.

ColinJ

I'll probably sort it out eventually, but it really should not be this complicated.
Ha - I found the download server for the mapping data so I am getting it directly in 4 big chunks rather than having to scroll about the country and wait for the software to download the current area's part of the GB map at different zoom levels. At least, I THINK that's what I am getting. It will take 90 minutes to download so I will set it going and watch TV until it has finished.

(This is legit - the maps don't work without the licence and I have already paid for that.)

ColinJ

Ha - I found the download server for the mapping data so I am getting it directly in 4 big chunks rather than having to scroll about the country and wait for the software to download the current area's part of the GB map at different zoom levels. At least, I THINK that's what I am getting. It will take 90 minutes to download so I will set it going and watch TV until it has finished.

(This is legit - the maps don't work without the licence and I have already paid for that.)
I couldn't get the 4 chunks of map to work, so I ended up doing the HUGE download after all. That seems to work.

I still experience one of the bugs which had been, er, bugging me but I have a work around for it. (I get blank areas on the map when I start the software and those never go away AT THAT ZOOM LEVEL. Other zoom levels are fine, and other areas that I scroll to are fine. The work around is to zoom the map right out before closing the software. When I restart the programme later, the blank areas affect the map at a zoom level that I would never use. I can then zoom to the level that I DO use and there are no blanks on that.)

Oxo

Guru
I couldn't get the 4 chunks of map to work, so I ended up doing the HUGE download after all. That seems to work.

I still experience one of the bugs which had been, er, bugging me but I have a work around for it. (I get blank areas on the map when I start the software and those never go away AT THAT ZOOM LEVEL. Other zoom levels are fine, and other areas that I scroll to are fine. The work around is to zoom the map right out before closing the software. When I restart the programme later, the blank areas affect the map at a zoom level that I would never use. I can then zoom to the level that I DO use and there are no blanks on that.)
As Basil would say, Zoom Zoom.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Ah, most valued customer. You have confused me for a most glorious ATM Engineer which i am most certainly not due to unfortunate circumstances. I most certainly did not know if the machine dispensed £5 notes as i do not use it.

However your utter digust and displeasure at not having received a £5 note is duly noted and rather rude response of "you should know, you work here" shall be passed to the manager.

I hope you go fark yourself and have a pleasurable walk home this evening due to the tube strikes

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Oi mercans? Two hours two feckin hours to get through customs, your having a feckin laugh ain't you? Your supposed to be the most advanced nation in the world yet it takes two feckin hours to get three plane loads of people 300 feet. Sort it feckin out you dozy feckin twunts. And sort out LAX terminal 'n all it's stuck in 1979. Feckin idiots.

TVC

LAX have the most miserable border/immigration and customs people on the face the earth. 'Orrible feckers the lot of them - I think they're bred in a farm somewhere specially.

Go north of the border to Canada and it's completely different.
Agreed, LAX immigration is seemingly specifically designed to put people off all Americans before they even collect their luggage.

Top Bottom