Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Own a Brompton?

Get used to smiling and agreeing "Yes, it is just like 'Transformers'"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I only got asked this question once but it was such a pleasure to see the reaction to my reply, I have to mention it again here ...

I was going down to Coventry to visit my elderly mother and had decided that at long last I was fit enough to cycle down. My route took me over some tough climbs in West Yorkshire, and then down through the Peak District. I hadn't told my mum that I'd be cycling; she was expecting me to catch the train.

I had just arrived when my mum's evening carer turned up. I was standing in the hallway next to my bike and was wearing my cycling clothes.

Carer: "Hi Colin - have you just cycled up from the railway station?"

Me: "No."

Carer: "Oh, so you are going for a ride now?"

Me: "No, I've just arrived!"

Carer: "Eh - where from?"

Me: "My home."

Carer: "What - in Yorkshire!"

Me: "Yes."

Carer: "How far is that?"

Me (checking GPS): "Er, 227 km or 141 miles, with 4,000 metres or 13,000 ft of hills.

There was a perfect, long, stunned silence ... ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Well, I only got asked this question once but it was such a pleasure to see the reaction to my reply, I have to mention it again here ...

I was going down to Coventry to visit my elderly mother and had decided that at long last I was fit enough to cycle down. My route took me over some tough climbs in West Yorkshire, and then down through the Peak District. I hadn't told my mum that I'd be cycling; she was expecting me to catch the train.

I had just arrived when my mum's evening carer turned up. I was standing in the hallway next to my bike and was wearing my cycling clothes.

Carer: "Hi Colin - have you just cycled up from the railway station?"

Me: "No."

Carer: "Oh, so you are going for a ride now?"

Me: "No, I've just arrived!"

Carer: "Eh - where from?"

Me: "My home."

Carer: "What - in Yorkshire!"

Me: "Yes."

Carer: "How far is that?"

Me (checking GPS): "Er, 227 km or 141 miles, with 4,000 metres or 13,000 ft of hills.

There was a perfect, long, stunned silence ... ;)
Mrs Uncle Phil and I can beat that. She had a contract in Lista, Norway. We cycled there. She had much the same conversation with various people when we got there. It took us two weeks and was about 950 miles. (And it was a fantastic trip). (We didn't do it in one day, though, unlike Colin).

"You're kidding. You can't cycle from England - you have to fly... don't you?"

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it carbon?

I get that every week on the club run from other riders when out on the ally boardman , the smooth welds fool them.

"Get a car " is what i get from most people along with the old road tax and insurance guff.

"your riding that far ?? what charity are you doing it for? " i once got when i entered a sportive , when i told them it was for fun they told me i was mad ...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
And to answer the question properly...

I'm usually asked at the coffee machine at work "Are you still coming in by bike every day?"

To which I usually reply "Yes. And are you still coming in by car every day?" (with a not-so-subtle glance at their belly, if there is one - and there often is).

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Mrs Uncle Phil and I can beat that. She had a contract in Lista, Norway. We cycled there. She had much the same conversation with various people when we got there. It took us two weeks and was about 950 miles. (And it was a fantastic trip). (We didn't do it in one day, though, unlike Colin).

I am so doing this - thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And to answer the question properly...

I'm usually asked at the coffee machine at work "Are you still coming in by bike every day?"

To which I usually reply "Yes. And are you still coming in by car every day?" (with a not-so-subtle glance at their belly, if there is one - and there often is).

I tell people on don`t want to pay the fat tax when i get that one :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Sounds great, but technically you can't cycle all the way from England unless you were doing circuits of the deck of the ferry! ;)

jay clock

Massive member
Why do you need 6 bikes?
Yes, that is often the riposte!!!

OK

1 Top pricey road bike for March to September
2 Winter road bike with mudguards
3 Touring bike - only used for touring
4 MTB - little used
5 Folder. Not used often but serves a fantastic purpose when I do use it.
6 Hack hybrid. Got free from ex-wife's partner as he had been told it needed £400 work on it. It is grubby and knackered but it works

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I get asked how long have you had that, have you lost your licence and how do you cope without a van? The answers are since 1999, no I've never had one and I'm going to learn to drive next year. I think I usualely cycle depending on where I'm working about 10-14 miles a day .

I can see the temptation! How do you cope without a van?

Cargo bike? trailer?

When I've got decorating or small construction jobs to do around the flat I can generally do most of it with my trailer. Larger stuff I can get delivered.

Top Bottom