Things you're always being asked about cycling/your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The usual one is: "Four and a half miles each way? I couldn't do that and do a full day's work." I work with very unfit people. To give an example: We work on the second floor of a building, and there is a group of my colleagues who go outside for a smoke three or four times a day, in all weathers. The only thing that stops them is when the lift is undergoing maintenance.

I've seen them sit for hours going "Is the lift working again yet? I'm dying for a tab."

Sounds like someone needs to indulge in some creative sabotage !

Col5632

Guru
Most people in my life, just have encouragement as they know the reasons I am doing it.
Work colleagues are generally the ones who are astounded.
  • But you live MILES away - Yup, 7 and a half, you live closer but choose to drive.
  • How long does that take - About 5 minutes longer than if I drove.
  • I wish I could do it - You can, you live less than 2 miles away, buy a bike.
  • I didn't think there were cycleroutes from yours - there aren't - You don't come down that dangerous road do you (refering to the A15) - No such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous road users.
  • What happens when it rains - I get wet.
And my personal favourite to date......

• How far is it to cycle in from yours? - 7 and a half miles - Oh.... how far is it by car? - Erm....... 7 and a half miles.... :wacko:

Brilliant :thumbsup:

Some people are just so lazy, i cycled in to my work on wed and the women next to me said "your keen" she said this because i was slightly wet due to the drizzle outside :laugh:

Needless to say im the only one who cycles to work, i live prob the 2nd furthest away at 5.5 miles each way, most people work within a 10 min walk and they all drive :angry:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Does that bike go fast ?

Classic!
biggrin.gif

sdr gb

Falling apart
I'm usually asked:
  • How much did you pay for it?
  • How many gears has it got?
  • How do you know which gear you're in?
  • Them are funny pedals (I use Look Keo).
  • Do you really sit on that saddle? There's hardly any padding!

akb

Veteran
'Its raining/cold/windy/too hot/snowing/dark etc outside. Would you like a lift home...?'
That one always bugs me! Thanks for the generosity but it was raining/cold/windy/too hot/snowing/etc when I came in to work. Im sure I can cope on the way home.

Another classic: '11 miles?! That must take you aggeees!' Erm. Nope. The same as it is to drive, and I dont have to sit in traffic.

Cal

In just over a couple of months (when I first mentioned I was thinking of getting a bike instead of a car) it's gone from 'you must be mad' and rolled eyes to 'Hmm, bet it's a good way to keep fit, what was it like to start off?'

Top Bottom