Tilting at Windmills ride - Sat. 11th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As hinted at on my HS2 ride, this is a ride to appreciate a different type of machinery, the time of Windy Miller.

Amongst all the current furore about wind turbines, people often forget about the original purpose of wind power, to either raise water or to grind grain. This ride will whet your appetite with a number of interesting windmills, some of which are still in use, whilst others are famous film stars. Although really, it's just an excuse to ride in some lovely Buckinghamshire countryside.

This will have more ascending (and descending) than my HS2 ride, but just about all the hills are in the first half, and the second half will be quite genteel, and will drop down around Aylesbury on similar roads as used on one of my Northampton rides last year, and also for my Aylesbury Circular ride of October 2009.

The ride will be about 75-80 miles long, and start and finish at Tring Station, where return tickets from London Euston cost £9.50 with a Network Railcard, and take about 45 minutes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Aw bugger. On the 12th we'll be hauling ourselves around Marlow on foot, otherwise we'd have joined you.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
:hello:
Options for trains back south via Clapham (some with umpteen changes) and Waterloo- probably go that way as biking Euston-Waterloo generally more than makes picking up services there worthwhile.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ahhh, poop!!

I am helping out as a mobile marshall (on bike) that Saturday night till the Sunday morning at the annual Moon Walk in London. I do like doing my bit for charity.

lilolee

Veteran
And we know the real reason you are marshalling the MoonWalk
huge

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well... there is that.. hahaha. But no, honestly, the joy is in giving ones time, no matter the occasion as its such a feel good, that I am quite addicted.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
hmm...I've got a mate bass player who lives in tring....wondering if I can combine a visit...what time does it start in the morning?

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Count me in, please, A. You always manage to find roads and lanes I haven't discovered in my manor.

Hmm, Windy Miller, eh? How come he always manages to get out of his front door without being decapitated or otherwise seriously maimed?

Top Bottom