Tilting at Windmills ride - Sat. 11th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I hadn't spotted this before. I'm up for this, but won't be able to stay for the full day. Looks like the most logical departure point would be after lunch and scooting across to Haddenham for a train back to town. Hope that's OK.

Absolutely fine.

Just to rehash what's in this thread............

Is that right?

Re your queries, I should think 5:30 - 6 pm would be our arrival time back at Tring station. As you'll see from the route profile, the first 40 miles are a lot steeper than the last 40 miles, as after Stokenchurch, we drop off down to Chinnor on the Vale of Aylesbury. Which as was noted on my earlier HS2 ride, is fairly flat, as you're cycling in an enormous bowl!

I think it will be slower than 14-15 mph though.

All forms of bike and body attire are welcome. Just so long as you're not naked apart from a jock strap and a rucksack like one chap I saw on the Isle of Wight last weekend. Not a pretty sight.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK, permission requested and obtained. See you at Tring at 0930. You'll probably recognise me from various FNRttCs but if you see a big bloke wandering around Tring station looking lost, pushing a large old Dawes bike (with mudguards) ... That's me.
Andrew

PippaG

Veteran
What with all the plants and trees having sprung, there is lots of stuff blowing around which seems to like my eyes as something to aim for. Oh, and the wind has an uncanny ability to blow puddles in your face. DAHIKT.

Still we will have the hills to shelter us. Genius.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a circular ride, so we can't possibly have a headwind all the way, can we?

Can we?

Oh well. The weather in the first four months of the year have hopefully formed sufficient reserves of character.

Tim Hall

Have bought quantities of orange cardboard. Will dig out new overshoes when I get home.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Yup, you'll need some waterproofs, as it'll be raining by 12 unfortunately. The lunch stop will be at The James Figg, 21 Cornmarket, Thame. They have a courtyard at the back where we can lock up the bikes.

The wind will be south-westerly with gusts up to 20-25 mph in the afternoon showers. We may see some sunny breaks on the northern section, and on the run back into Tring.

For anyone who wants to read up on the windmills we'll be visiting, they're listed here. We're going via Cholesbury, Wendover, Ibstone, Brill, Quainton. I would have liked to include the Pitstone one at Ivinghoe, as we go fairly close to it, but I reckon we'd run out of time.

Top Bottom