Tilting at Windmills ride - Sat. 11th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Adam, I assume that from Tring you will head into the Chilterns. When you post your route I will look into logistics of joining you mid-morning at a suitable cafe serving the finest coffee and cake. Assuming of course that is agreeable to you.

gbs

Guru
Sorry, count me out. I failed to put in my diary a commitment for that evening. V disappointed; I spent today in the Chilterns and I am beginning to think that is a better cycling area, albeit its geographical restrictions, than Surrey. The latter is rescued by proximity to Sussex and the sea, Kent and heavenly Hampshire

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
V disappointed; I spent today in the Chilterns and I am beginning to think that is a better cycling area, albeit its geographical restrictions, than Surrey.
Much better. The standard of the tarmac is sadly about the same, but the traffic levels are considerably lower. Our usual loops spend most of their time on roads where we regularly see more bikes than motorised vehicles.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Out, sadly. Needed for domestic stuff at some point, this is the first weekend that wasn't booked up already....

PippaG

Veteran
I hadn't spotted this before. I'm up for this, but won't be able to stay for the full day. Looks like the most logical departure point would be after lunch and scooting across to Haddenham for a train back to town. Hope that's OK.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just to rehash what's in this thread.

You're starting at Tring station at 0930 on Sat 11th May
Trains from Euston: 0804 arr 0847; 0824 arr 0859; 0834 arr 0917.
Total distance 75-80 miles
Lunch in Thame about 1315
Return from Tring at ... when? About 1800?

Is that right?

Based on the above - and the outcome of the speed question below, I'll seek permission for a full day pass.

How fast will you be going? I know that's entirely terrain dependent so it's a bit hard to answer. Put it like this, if your rolling average speed is much over 14-15mph on moderately uppy-downy terrain I may be blowing a bit. I can always take a view at half way. If I'm a bit knackered or if I'm repeatedly dropping back I'll just meander back on my own no probs.

PS You may wish to decline my application on the grounds that I will have both m##g###ds and h##m#t

Top Bottom