time to upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

The bike won't make that much difference, but your own fitness will ride hills more.
I thought this would come up, and is of course true. But I feel I've earned an upgrade as I have got fitter! More to don though obviously.

I'm not a bike at £500 will be much of a jump over the triban. I would rather spend the money on a better group set.

I read a lot about people uprating the triban and I did put new wheels on it but I would not go much further personally. The merlin malt r has tiagra gear on it which would be a step up for me.

I take the point that a jump from the tri 3 with new wheels to a new £500 bike might not be a big enough jump. But the merlins rrp is £750. Maybe that's meaningless. Still thinking about it. I'm not sure I could justify putting over a grand into a bike this year or next. Decisions decisions.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

To the OP, why not join a club, practice riding at a higher level with others and that may help :smile:
I'm sure it would push me on a bit but I'm not sure I'd have the time, and I quite like riding alone:wacko:

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

I am upping my budget and had a look at this carbon Roubaix sl4 today.
I like it a lot. Light. Comfortable. Looks good. I'm OK with the sora group set.
But the paint job is a bit bland. Charcoal!
I think that's the only colour.
Any thoughts or similar bikes?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am upping my budget and had a look at this carbon Roubaix sl4 today.
I like it a lot. Light. Comfortable. Looks good. I'm OK with the sora group set.
But the paint job is a bit bland. Charcoal!
I think that's the only colour.
Any thoughts or similar bikes?

Relaxed geometry presumably given you have linked a Roubaix not a tarmac - Cannondale Synapse, Giant Defy, Trek Domane

The Boardmans are very well regarded, not quite as boring or common as the Specialized. Join British Cycling, get 10% off. 105/tiagra. lighter, smoother than Sora (£1300 RRP for a Sora bike seems mad to me)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992004_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

This months Cycling Active has a £1300 sportive-type bike grouptest, won by the boring Specialized

You're in the Kingston area IIRC? Worcester Park? Go to some local LBS - Pearsons, Corridori, Action Bikes, Giant store, Evans. Moores etc

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Relaxed geometry presumably given you have linked a Roubaix not a tarmac - Cannondale Synapse, Giant Defy, Trek Domane

The Boardmans are very well regarded, not quite as boring or common as the Specialized. Join British Cycling, get 10% off. 105/tiagra. lighter, smoother than Sora (£1300 RRP for a Sora bike seems mad to me)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992004_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

This months Cycling Active has a £1300 sportive-type bike grouptest, won by the boring Specialized

You're in the Kingston area IIRC? Worcester Park? Go to some local LBS - Pearsons, Corridori, Action Bikes, Giant store, Evans. Moores etc
why do you think the spesh is boring Vickster????

vickster

Legendary Member
why do you think the spesh is boring Vickster????
Colour...or lack of...and every other bike around here is a specialized...like to see different things :smile: And I found my two sirruses utterly uninspiring to ride

Being female, these things are far more important than a stiff frame or other boring technical details ;) Mechanical stuff interests me not a jot, it just needs to look pretty and be fun and different

Last edited:
I concur an Allez would be a better all round bike although you could upgrade that Roubaix to be a very hot bike. All the money is in the frame the components are all at the heavier end.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

I would buy a Allez elite, if you want to go specalized. the others are right tho', you will have to face facts. Your not as fit as your mate.:whistle:

Yes yes I know. But I've earned the right to spend a bit more on my current obsession :biggrin:. why the allez? Like the price and the group set but not carbon which just seems so light when I pick it up in the shop.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Thanks for the tip v. Will look at the Boardman today. Good spec but, again, not inspired by the coliur scheme. Not sure how much value to place on that but if im blowing a k i should covet it like a guilty pleasure ! Hoping to pop into Evans tomorrow morning for a chat too.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would take the SL4 over an Allez any day, its a far better frame.
The SL4 frameset is simply outstanding and its difficult to explain why, but its good everywhere.
IMHO Its the best mass production carbon frameset on the market today. Nothing I have ridden so far comes close.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tip v. Will look at the Boardman today. Good spec but, again, not inspired by the coliur scheme. Not sure how much value to place on that but if im blowing a k i should covet it like a guilty pleasure ! Hoping to pop into Evans tomorrow morning for a chat too.
I personally wouldn't buy a bike from Evans if an lbs sells it. If considering the specialized, corridori in Epsom used to offer a bg fit with a bike purchase. Which will be a darn sight better than Evans fitting aid. However, Evans are useful for hassle free test rides, just take photo id

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Sat on the Boardman carbon, villier la trestina Ali frame, Izuiord xp.

Villiers v pretty. Felt long. They were large and I'm wondering whether a medium might be better for me. I'm 5'11.

Boardman felt ok but didn't wow me with its looks.

Of all of them the sl4 feels the most comfortable. Shame its got no go faster stripes!

Top Bottom