time to upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you considered that your ride buddy might be one of those annoying buggers who are just good at hills? Its not the bike or that he is way fitter than you, he might be a natural climber. If that is the case I suggest that you stop being friends with him and find one who is crap at hills. It'll save you a fortune.
I can vouch for this - my ride buddy is one of these types! unfortunately whilst it is annoying, stopping being friends with him is not an option - I'm married to him :biggrin: :laugh:
I can, however, offer my sympathies to @stu9000 and say that a new bike has helped me start to keep up with him - so don't despair too much!

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Have you considered that your ride buddy might be one of those annoying buggers who are just good at hills? Its not the bike or that he is way fitter than you, he might be a natural climber. If that is the case I suggest that you stop being friends with him and find one who is crap at hills. It'll save you a fortune.

The salt in the wound was when he started to go off then said he would "wait for me". Ah bless. At least ive built his confidence for the Surrey 100.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thats a gorgeous bike!!! A serious contender I think.
Is there any way I can road test a Planet X bike?
The best way to road test one is to pop up to Sheffield, which is what I did (From Norwich, Norfolk). I love it to bits and then rode it again and loved it some more. I'm collecting mine next Saturday and crossing off the days.

I was going to suggest the Planet X bike but felt that I've probably been on about them fairly constantly for a fortnight and people will just roll their eyes at my enthusiasm.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Planet x pro carbon is currently 1000 with ultegra 11 speed from what I can tell. Looks lovely! I want a white one lol

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To be frank, if your mate beat you up the hill, then he is fitter than you. The Triban is a good entry level bike, and no amount of money will make much difference in reality. The engine is you !

Yes there are marginal gains from better road bikes, but if you are getting hammered, then the other rider is fitter. Simples.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

I'll look at their cube and check out returns.
Wiggle will accept returns free of charge if swooping for another bike from them or return costs £20 if walking away.

With 12% off through British Cycling the Avanti seems good. I've not quite decided tho.

vickster

Legendary Member
Check the BC T&Cs, I think it only applies to full price stuff (or stuff that is only a bit reduced)

Top Bottom