to race or to wait

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Not enough jamma. If that's all the time you have to train, take up running - which requires two hours a day to reach your potential after four to six years.

Professional cycling is a four hour a day commitment - at least. Every day. And realizing your potential is years away from this year.

Do what you are doing if you are breaking into cycling. However the end game will require much more.

Back on topic is this training plan okay

Sunday - rest day
Monday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins
Tuesday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2 mins on /3 mins recovery
Wednesday - long ride 3hrs+
Thursday - easy ride 60mins - 90 mins
Friday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2mins on /3 mins recovery
Saturday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins

Repeat that for 3 weeks then have a rest week

If anyone has improvements please let me know

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
More advice. Don't do intervals yet. Go long or go hills. Punch the short hills (the under 30 seconds) for speed and the over a minute for endurance.

No rest days until you make a mistake and are injured or sick and forced to stop. This is a HARD job.

If you can get a power meter so you are certain how hard or easy you are riding every day.

Ride with other faster riders often. Work on handling that bike as to avoid costly crashes.

Not enough jamma. If that's all the time you have to train, take up running - which requires two hours a day to reach your potential after four to six years.

Professional cycling is a four hour a day commitment - at least. Every day. And realizing your potential is years away from this year.

Do what you are doing if you are breaking into cycling. However the end game will require much more.

Last edited:

JoshM

Back on topic is this training plan okay

Sunday - rest day
Monday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins
Tuesday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2 mins on /3 mins recovery
Wednesday - long ride 3hrs+
Thursday - easy ride 60mins - 90 mins
Friday - intervals 4-6 sets @ 2mins on /3 mins recovery
Saturday - easy ride 60mins - 90mins

Repeat that for 3 weeks then have a rest week

If anyone has improvements please let me know

Personally I think you need another long ride, maybe on Saturday. And change Monday's easy ride to a 2 hour tempo ride, rather than a 90mins easy ride.

This thread and the other one about becoming a pro show that you don't (at least yet) have the mind set. Successful athletes don't ask if they're good enough (especially a bunch of strangers) they just train and compete until the win. There's a certain self confidence, bordering on arrogance required to be successful at sport. Don't neglect work in this area too if you're serious about being successful

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Jamma - I can't remember whether you said you were in a club. If you are surely there are members there with the experience to advise you. If you are not in a club, you should join one - one with members who race. You need to learn how to ride with a group, train with a group. Ride with the club chaingang. On a good day even I can maintain 18 mph with the club training group - at 68, and waiting for a hip replacement. 13.5 mph is simply not fast enough to race. It's not fast enough to stay with most of our Sunday rides, maybe OK for a fast leisure ride but that's about it.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
As CK said, I've started racing, only recently (May 27th) so my experience is really limited. But, I'll just be brutally honest, if you're saying your average speed is 13.5 mph, forget racing for now. No ifs, no buts, just put it way off into the distance. And here's why.
By using the last 5 years I've put in the miles to see me progress from about a 15.5mph (ish I think) average to now comfortably sitting solo at 20+ mph average, sitting in a paceline at 30+ mph. It took me to knock in anything up to 13500 miles in a year to get my fitness to here from where it was. Then a couple of folk said I really should try racing, as I might do ok. My Cat 4 license drops on the doormat, I'm booked into my first race, and I start some sprint training. I thought I was bike fit until I started intervals, how wrong I was. A few weeks to go and the course I'm racing on has some track practice sessions so I thought it would be great to get the experience of the circuit layout under my belt. Whoosh, we rattle around like no-ones business, all Cats, 2's 3's and 4's all together, it was fantastic. I think we averaged 26.5 mph. Come race day, my first ever race, Cat 4, excited like a kid at Christmas, revved myself up and got the job done. Ended up with a 4th place, 0.8 seconds off the win, averaged 25.5 mph I think it was. Had I entered and lined up on the startline of this small local race back in 2011 when I was riding at 15.5mph, I would of been spat out the back quicker than you could say iknewthiswasabadidea. I would of therefore just been riding around the track on my own, probably just getting in the way of the ones who are smashing it.
Entering
a race with the average speed you're talking about won't get you experience of racing. Put some decent miles in, build that fitness right up, then think about it. What you could try is GoRace. Have a look on the British Cycling site.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
As CK said, I've started racing, only recently (May 27th) so my experience is really limited. But, I'll just be brutally honest, if you're saying your average speed is 13.5 mph, forget racing for now. No ifs, no buts, just put it way off into the distance. And here's why.
By using the last 5 years I've put in the miles to see me progress from about a 15.5mph (ish I think) average to now comfortably sitting solo at 20+ mph average, sitting in a paceline at 30+ mph. It took me to knock in anything up to 13500 miles in a year to get my fitness to here from where it was. Then a couple of folk said I really should try racing, as I might do ok. My Cat 4 license drops on the doormat, I'm booked into my first race, and I start some sprint training. I thought I was bike fit until I started intervals, how wrong I was. A few weeks to go and the course I'm racing on has some track practice sessions so I thought it would be great to get the experience of the circuit layout under my belt. Whoosh, we rattle around like no-ones business, all Cats, 2's 3's and 4's all together, it was fantastic. I think we averaged 26.5 mph. Come race day, my first ever race, Cat 4, excited like a kid at Christmas, revved myself up and got the job done. Ended up with a 4th place, 0.8 seconds off the win, averaged 25.5 mph I think it was. Had I entered and lined up on the startline of this small local race back in 2011 when I was riding at 15.5mph, I would of been spat out the back quicker than you could say iknewthiswasabadidea. I would of therefore just been riding around the track on my own, probably just getting in the way of the ones who are smashing it.
Entering
a race with the average speed you're talking about won't get you experience of racing. Put some decent miles in, build that fitness right up, then think about it. What you could try is GoRace. Have a look on the British Cycling site.
Great post. Nice, well done!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Haven't we given a load of similar advice (14 pages) to the OP a month ago on this thread which he started:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/am-i-too-old-to-start-racing-trying-to-be-a-pro.198514/
If I were the OP, I would spend the money on the flash new bike and just enjoy riding it at my own speed.
Thanks for your advice and will take it onboard
You've got your new bike and great it looks too. Just go and ride it, by yourself and with a club.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Let's not beat about the bush. If you average 13.5mph when you're going hard, you shouldn't be racing. I do 16-17mph in zone 2 and I'd get slaughtered in a cat 4 race.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Let's not beat about the bush. If you average 13.5mph when you're going hard, you shouldn't be racing. I do 16-17mph in zone 2 and I'd get slaughtered in a cat 4 race.
I did 17.6mph over 100 miles on Sunday, I'd get slaughtered too.....

This may help with perspective.

My commute is 5 miles on relative flat. I am 26, weigh about 11st and I am 5ft 7. I don't race, just commute.

I ride a Planet X kaffenback with rack, pannier, lock. All in all the complete weight is around 14kg. It takes me 25mins to cycle to work which gives an average of 12mph but I can knock 5mins off if traffic is good which gives and average speed of 15mph.

If I were to go on a leisure ride than I average around 15mph without pushing it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This may help with perspective...

You want perspective? Alex Dowsett just posted a solo training ride on Strava: 150km at 45kmh. Admittedly a pretty flat route (only 879m of climbing), but even so.
https://www.strava.com/activities/597975447

Just to reiterate, that's a solo ride, not in a bunch. And training, not racing. At an average 45kmh. (ETA: might have been moto-paced, which makes it marginally less impressive!)

What about things happenig in personal life which took priorty before racing and turning pro

Read a few interviews/biographies to get an idea how much pros have to sacrifice to make it. If you're not willing/able to put in the hours, well...

Top Bottom