to race or to wait

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamma

Über Member
I am in two minds about racing since my average speed is about 13.5 mph. My heart says go for it but my brain says train this year like crazy and get the speed up so i won't get dropped on the first lap.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go for it someone has to come last and it means you can only improve. Are you experienced at riding close to other riders? If not, get that experience in the club chain gang which will also improve your speeds, otherwise you could be a dangerous liability to others even if you are at the back. Do you have race license etc sorted?

OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Go for it someone has to come last and it means you can only improve. Are you experienced at riding close to other riders? If not, get that experience in the club chain gang which will also improve your speeds, otherwise you could be a dangerous liability to others even if you are at the back. Do you have race license etc sorted?

I have the race license sorted but only had a few experiences with the clubs chain gang so i could do with more experience i that

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the race license sorted but only had a few experiences with the clubs chain gang so i could do with more experience i that
Definitely. How do you fare with an average speed of 13.5? Do you get dropped every time?

Firestorm

Veteran
No offence but racing with an average speed of 13.5 seems a non starter.
I averaged 13.8 over 44 miles last sunday in literally evey rider going my way passed me, maybe 30 or so,
I havent even considered age group TTs yet (i am approaching 58) thinking that 60 would be a good time to start.
Its not that I am averse to being at the back, I spent years being stuffed running on the track and cross country, but so far off the pace would do me more harm than good.
Personally, I would say train hard for the next 9 months and reconsider next season, but, if that were me, I would want to be much closer to 20mph over an hour before I would consider racing

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
As others have said, I would have thought you need to be 20 mph (depending on your terrain obviously) I did a club chaingang training ride on Tuesday, started in the slow group, our aim was to hold 20mph, one of the members couldn't Handle riding at the front so sat on the rear, the fast group started after us by about 3 minutes. When they caught us 3 of us joined their chain all the way home (which was tough going) we do a 20 mile training loop including a couple of nasty hills, the quick boys did it in around 23mph I was 21mph and knackered and I no way would I consider myself good enough to race!
But hey it's up to you, I would personally concentrate on TT's and training.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends who's leading the group but i usally hang on till the last couple of miles
At 13.5mph, I assumed the club chain gang would be significantly faster?

2clepto

"train hard for the next 9 months and reconsider next season.." id recommend you also try a couple more bikes if u can because on the two racers i have im 3mph faster on the 56cm one than i am the 58cm. from 15mph to eighteen on average. maybe its a little lighter or the drivetrain suits my legs better or the longer stem on the 56cm affords a better position for my body.

i still admire the racing spirit myself alot and often on a day off ill nip out in rush hour with no haversack and unfairly race the faster commuters, who are handily way faster than me, but with their panniers, muddys, cycling gear, eight lights and two computers, the field is evened out alot, into my favour.

you need some friends of the same ability and just race with them. most days i average 14mph because of hazards and such like. across cities at 2am 3am are the best times for the true Tron experience. because unlike formalised racing where being at the back appears as an anxiety, being at the back in my eyes is an advantageous position to be in knowledge wise especially in the fun enjoyment realms riding brings. then somedays you hit lucky and win or come in the top two...

Reactions: 2IT

screenman

Legendary Member
All seems a bit odd this one, he did a 32 minute 10 or something the other day yet is only averaging 13.5 seems odd maths to me. Knock 8 minutes off that time then have a go at a handicap race.

Top Bottom