to race or to wait

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jamma

Über Member
Does that 28 miler start and finish at the same place ?
struggling to see how there is an elevation gain on a loop ?
Am I missing something
Yes it start and finishes outside my street exact same places

Am I missing something
Yes. Strava only counts climbs, not (climbs-descents), so unless you're on the Bonneville Salt Flats or something, there'll always be elevation gain, even in a loop.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Am I missing something
Elevation gain means going upwards as opposed to his house gaining 1300ft since he left for his ride.. ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Firestorm

Veteran
Yes. Strava only counts climbs, not (climbs-descents), so unless you're on the Bonneville Salt Flats or something, there'll always be elevation gain, even in a loop.
Ah right, my Garmin has a total climbing figure and an elevation gain figure, for some reason my loop has me gaining 3ft whilst climbing 560ft....

mustang1

Legendary Member
Years ago I happened to spend a couple of days with an ex racer. I proclaimed to him I can ride 10 miles in about 40 minutes and he changed the subject. I figured he didn't hear me or something so I mentioned it again. Once more he changed the subject. "why isn't this guy impressed with my stats" I wondered. After bugging him some more he finally told me that I was doing great on my way to getting even faster. He gave me good advice and a knockoff at the same time.

It didn't long after that for me to realise how slow I really was. I still feel silly just recalling that story.

While I do not know much about racing, I think you should carry on improving and perhaps one way to do that is to enter a race: it will give you a baseline from which you can excel.

outlash

also available in orange
Get out and race.

You will ride harder than you ever have before.

You will see where you are really at, and be inspired to truly work hard.

You will be able to look back, as I have just today, and see how far you've come.

While I do not know much about racing, I think you should carry on improving and perhaps one way to do that is to enter a race: it will give you a baseline from which you can excel.

That's bad advice IMO, if the OP gets spat out the back after 1\2 mile and pulled off shortly after, thats embarrassing and soul destroying. It's one thing 'giving it a go', but it's another to be a joke.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
As @cyberknight says it's not just a matter of riding pretty quickly, I don't race I TT but some of my mates race and talk of holding 25mph + in the peloton shoulder to shoulder bar to bar up and down the hills, (alright, the speeds vary and it's easier attaining higher speeds with people in front of you for you to draft) obviously you've got to be comfortable and skilled to ride like that IMO as you could end up taking a load of people down if you're not, it's not just about the speed. In fact one of them raced last night and in the sprint to the line - yes the sprint where you turn it on like Cav, there was an almighty pile up which he narrowly avoided.......

Top Bottom