Today's Interesting Obituary

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Rick Hall has died aged 85, he was the studio owner and record producer of Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. There’s a great documentary which I highly recommend. I actually met him when we did a studio tour there a couple of years back, spotted him in the car park so went over to say hello, he was a real gent, good fun and I even got a photo.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-me-rick-hall-20180102-story.html

Here’s a trailer for the docu, beware there’s Keith Richards bollocksing on at the start, silly old fool.

Last edited:
U

User169

A bit late ( 8 years) but an interesting obit which I missed at the time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1547158/Maurice-Flitcroft.html

No matter how many times I read this one it still makes me laugh.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No matter how many times I read this one it still makes me laugh.

Just goes to show how absurd golfists are. At the World Series of Poker, where the top prize is well north of a million dollars anyone at all is welcome to play. Just have to stump up the (admittedly substantial) entry fee and get to play against the world's best poker players - and they in turn are perfectly happy that you've increased the prize fund

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just goes to show how absurd golfists are. At the World Series of Poker, where the top prize is well north of a million dollars anyone at all is welcome to play. Just have to stump up the (admittedly substantial) entry fee and get to play against the world's best poker players - and they in turn are perfectly happy that you've increased the prize fund

I'm sure it's the same at the bottom tier of qualification in some big snooker and darts tournaments. So long as you can pay the entry fee, you're in

It must be something to do with golfers. I lent the book to my next door neighbour who's a golfer. When he gave it me back, he just shook his head and said, what a bugger. Absolutely no mention of the sheer genius of the man.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It must be something to do with golfers. I lent the book to my next door neighbour who's a golfer. When he gave it me back, he just shook his head and said, what a bugger. Absolutely no mention of the sheer genius of the man.

I thought the saddest thing was that the R&A refused to comment on his death as he has "only played in qualifiers". Further confirming what a bunch of pricks the great and good of the golfing establishment really are

Tin Pot

Guru
I thought the saddest thing was that the R&A refused to comment on his death as he has "only played in qualifiers". Further confirming what a bunch of pricks the great and good of the golfing establishment really are

Golfers are all right, but like cyclists can be complete cu...ltural outcasts.

On my old golf forum we had Maurice Flitcrofts Ghost as a member for many years.

I've got loads of bicycles.

Can I enter the TdF please

I won't crash or put anyone else off

subaqua

What’s the point
"Although not party political, Cousins was vehemently against Brexit. During the summer he visited Lord’s with a pro-Brexit friend. Beforehand they called a truce, declaring that politics would not spoil their day. Despite downing copious quantities of alcohol, the pact held until, just as they were leaving the ground, his friend spotted Jacob Rees-Mogg and made a beeline to shake the pro-Brexit politician’s hand. Cousins, who now considered the truce to be shattered, also shook Rees-Mogg’s hand, saying in his typically forthright manner: “I think you’re a c**t “

Has to be the best bit of an obituary ever

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Maurice Gerald Flitcroft was born in Manchester on November 23 1929 and claimed to have been a talented schoolboy athlete."

'claimed to have been' is exquisite.

Top Bottom