Took The Plunge. Bought A Boardman SLR 8.9 Carbon Road Bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I haven't done a really long ride in years. 20 miles at the most.

What I do find with the hour long rides, is that the first twenty minutes is the hardest. After that, I seem to get a "second wind" and the rest is a bit of a breeze.

Does that hold true for four or five hour rides?

Most of us the same, by the time I get home however I don’t really want to stop.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You don’t need a spare tube. That’s a modern affliction. Repair kit is more compact, lighter, and fixes more punctures.

gzoom

Über Member
My plan is to only ride the Boardman on fine weekend days whilst carrying as little weight as possible.

I carry tyre levers, spare inner tube, mini pump, and allen key set in an under seat saddle bag.

A quick release catch means I just move it between bikes. I did 3000 miles last year and got 1 puncture, and that was because I had an under inflated tyre whilst going over a cattle grid at speed.

Enjoy your new bike, I cannot wait to get back out on my road bike, just waiting for the weather to start warming up and council to repair all the pot holes (which to my surprise has already started:smile:).

50575391288_df4fc132f2_c_d.jpg

Person

When you get your new bike put electrical tape on all the places on the frame where the cables rub.

As far as carrying tools and food - wear two jerseys. You can also attach a bottle cage under the saddle for extra water.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Delivered or picked up in-store? Make sure they have set it up properly, brakes not rubbing/gears not shifting smoothly, the usual gripes.
Hope you enjoy it ^_^
I'd have bought it boxed but someone I know suggested getting it built and doing a thorough inspection at handover.

If you buy it boxed and there is a bloody great scratch in the frame, Halfords will accept no liability.

If you buy it "built", you get to see the finished product before you enter into a legally binding contract.

So at handover, you have to check for everything. Frayed cable ends, marks on the frame, tyre direction, indexing accuracy, burrs or rounded out heads on fastenings etc. etc.

I've never spent this much on a bike before and I'm determined to never spend this much on a bike ever again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes it always takes me a while to get the engine working, oddly as I get older I find I might be slower but have more endurance when people are fading I'm getting going assuming I have the energy.
Last 💯 I faded a bit around 70 but after a Sarine I felt fresh still 😃

Lookrider

I've never seen a bike where the cables rubbed the frame.

You do get the cables rubbing somewhat on some frames
Especially headset areas
I wouldn't put tapes around the cable
All that happens is the tape will rub in the frame and tbe same manner
You can get little "balls" that clip to the cables to help with this issue
I got a few from my local halfirds store so I know they do them
I've no idea there proper name and would hate to have to track them online .....I just took bike to the shop
If you want to carry minimal
Start with tubeless tyres
1 or 2 gas canisters
Multi tool ..not a lot else needed
Your mtb inflator may not be sufficient for a rd bike
Mtb pumps supply air at high volume/low pressure
Rd pumps need low volume/high pressure
Good luck with the ride

Top Bottom