Towns you've been to, but you're not quite sure which town it is.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
An idea I've idly toyed with, but never taken any practical steps to achieve:
Ride from Boston to New York and back in a day

....via Holland Fen and Chapel Hill, stopping off to gawk at any visible Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane or Dakota at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at Coningsby, passing Dave Yates' place at Hawthorn Hill, then over Scrub Hill on the way to New York, and whizzing up Bunker's Hill on the way back to Boston. Gotta love all those hills - they seem to qualify for the name by being a couple of feet or so higher than the surrounding farmland. Probably no more than about 40km in total, so might need to find some way of extending it towards the wolds for a bit more exercise.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I first cycled the C2C path towards Consett in County Durham I came across a place I now know to be Annfield Plain.

The path bisects the main street, so you arrive from open countryside without much warning and no signs I could see.

There is a Tesco, so I called in for a drink, sandwich and bar of chocolate.

As I paid, I asked the assistant: "What do they call this place?"

She replied: "Tesco."

albion

Guru
Yes, that is the same town I keep seeing signs for in my rides and that is 'Centre'.
Town Centre seems a very common place and often enough I am non the wiser as to what the locals call it.

I've also cycled from Twatt to Twatt.

Last edited:
I've been to plenty of places in the UK and thought, "what the fark is this place?" :biggrin:
Well a lot of UK towns do unfortunately look very similar/same plastic shop frontages etc/same devotion to shopping. Italians tend to notice this and in truth I think any Brit who has ever been to Italy will then notice it.

More chance of noting the differences of course if you are on a bike rather than in a car.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Arriving in Amarillo last year on our road trip across the US, we decided against staying the night. Place gave us the creeps and left us wondering why anyone would write a song about how to get there.:sad:

Drove on to Albuquerque, which was very nice! :rolleyes:

My brother used to live in Mareham-le-Fen when he was in the RAF and I remember seeing this sign when I visited him once:

DSC09398r.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I did London to Brighton Overnight earlier this year. They gave us a crap map that I wouldn't have been able to read even if I'd brought my reading glasses. Then the map dissolved in the rain. Then my front light failed on me at the darkest part of the night. I can honestly say that as soon as I crossed Tower Bridge, (where I even managed to fail to notice the Tower of London), I was lost in the dark for over 60 miles until we hit the top of the Devil's Dyke and could actually see Brighton. Apparently we went through Brixton, Croydon, Coulsdon (which I had never even heard of) and skirted Dorking and Hickstead on the way. This was all news to me.

screenman

Legendary Member

....via Holland Fen and Chapel Hill, stopping off to gawk at any visible Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane or Dakota at the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at Coningsby, passing Dave Yates' place at Hawthorn Hill, then over Scrub Hill on the way to New York, and whizzing up Bunker's Hill on the way back to Boston. Gotta love all those hills - they seem to qualify for the name by being a couple of feet or so higher than the surrounding farmland. Probably no more than about 40km in total, so might need to find some way of extending it towards the wolds for a bit more exercise.

Pop in for a cuppa, I have done the ride you talk about, the downhill parts are amazing.

screenman

Legendary Member
Chapel hill and the other hills were named that way due to people down south paying more for potatoes grown on hill. They grow tates round that way you see.

I could have just made that up as I have no idea of where it cam from.

I did London to Brighton Overnight earlier this year. They gave us a crap map that I wouldn't have been able to read even if I'd brought my reading glasses. Then the map dissolved in the rain. Then my front light failed on me at the darkest part of the night. I can honestly say that as soon as I crossed Tower Bridge, (where I even managed to fail to notice the Tower of London), I was lost in the dark for over 60 miles until we hit the top of the Devil's Dyke and could actually see Brighton. Apparently we went through Brixton, Croydon, Coulsdon (which I had never even heard of) and skirted Dorking and Hickstead on the way. This was all news to me.
Funny post - made me smile.

Glad you saw Brighton, otherwise it seems that you may as well have just cycled in circles round a dark Gloucester car park.

I'm not entirely sure that this night riding lark is meant for you though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3346723, member: 259"]Warwick University. It's not actually in Warwick, which is miles away. It's in Coventry. :wacko:[/QUOTE]

A bit like the "Kensington Hilton" actually being in Shepherds' Bush not Kensington. They even try and fool you by given you directions from Holland Park tube (15 minutes walk) instead of from Shepherds' Bush tube which is 50 yards away.

yes - been there. London is full of things like that - often small businesses. Saw one recently in Brixton - can't quite remember what - something like "Chelsea Language School" probably.

Top Bottom