Transcontinental 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
At the end of the day Frank rode 3511.8km and Emily road 3508.3km.

Frank will have to find the shorter route next year :O)

Hoping there is also an official photo of Frank. Will check photographer's website later.

IMG_20160812_103802.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just looking at the finishers mileages. They all measure over 3000km except James Mansell and these are his stats

Race Status Finished
Last Update Rec'd 08:13:37 PM (CEST) 08/08/16
Current speed 12.5 kph
Straight Tracking Distance covered 2474.1 km
Moving Time 5:14:06
Stopped Time 4:08:05
Moving Average Speed 22.7 kph

Would this be a tracking fault or did he manage to reduce the course by about 1000km on everyone else? ;o)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just looking at the finishers mileages. They all measure over 3000km except James Mansell and these are his stats

Race Status Finished
Last Update Rec'd 08:13:37 PM (CEST) 08/08/16
Current speed 12.5 kph
Straight Tracking Distance covered 2474.1 km
Moving Time 5:14:06
Stopped Time 4:08:05
Moving Average Speed 22.7 kph

Would this be a tracking fault or did he manage to reduce the course by about 1000km on everyone else? ;o)
According to frrt.org he's still in Kosovo. I suspect that the "finished" status is wrong.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Jeff Liu has just finished

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks for messages of encouragement. I'll write a bit more about the ride when i've gathered my thoughts (which are going to take some gathering!) but some things that spring to mind are:
1. The phrase that came into my head to describe this was ' the adventure of a lifetime'. That's my best five-word summary
2. The last bit was the hardest, the 190km from Alexandroupoli. Did it through night. Started off slowly, then thought I'll blast it, but got sleepy. Slept a bit, woke up and couldn't quite accept the situation. Thought I was in a dream and had editorial control over what happened. Gradually realised I wasn't and the only way out was to ride further, not to just wake up. So blasted the last 60km, in the morning sunshine, helped by great company from my ‎shadow, who emerged when the sun got up (ok, you look like you have a great position on that bike but where were you all night when I really needed you for company?)
3. Next hardest was the Croatian coast with hurricane-force cross winds. Got blown off twice, walked some bits, couldn't walk at times and was very scary trying to handle bike on ‎busy road.
4. The big passes were ok. Mostly fitted them in at night so didn't see much, but just spun up them with very low gears‎ (one lie in there!)
5. Main lessons I learned were about how little you need - it was less than I thought. Things like needing to clean your teeth and change your shorts get stripped away to reveal a more simple purpose beneath. It feels empowering.
6. Dogs. More rubbish written about dogs than just about anything. Essentially there are packs of strays. If one wants to bite you he will - you have no control. You can't outride them. Generally they don't so best jsut to ignore them. But I got followed by a lovely dog in Croatia for over an hour. I'd like to find it and adopt it if I could work out how to go about it. ‎

Top Bottom