Transporting a two piece suit to a wedding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the tips. To explain, I'm taking the train but want to take my bike with me as I'm staying for three nights, want to explore the area and keep fit.

The guest house is about 10 miles from the railway station and about 180 miles from where I live.
For sure, there will be ironing facilities at the guest house.
I would just roll up the suit as described upthread, then give it a quick iron at your destination.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At the guest house run a hot shower and hang the suit up in the bathroom. The steam will take the creases out.

TwoStews

I've done similar trips with a suit, but for work and not a wedding!

I've found the best solution is to carry everything except your suit in the panniers. For your suit (and shirt if you can't iron it at the other end) get your sen something like this (far fancier options available). Shorten the strap as much as possible then sling it over your shoulder like a massive courier bag when on the bike. Keep in it hung up on the train and at either end. As long as you aren't traveling mega distances the suit will be just fine.

i hope you have a good time and the bride and groom have a wonderful day.

SydZ

Über Member
Check the care instructions for your suit, many (most) advise against ironing.

if you still choose to do so then place an additional layer between the suit and the iron.

Reactions: mjr

T4tomo

Legendary Member
oo - I'd worry about the future relationship prospects of anyone who bothered about that.
Maybe the sort of folks who think a string quartet a vital accompaniment to a wedding.
Beware the curse of the string quartet folks - the marriage is farked.
I think I'd rather see a string quartet at a wedding than pikies in tracksuits :okay:

I'd rather have a live band than a string quartet thou , just saying......:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At the guest house run a hot shower and hang the suit up in the bathroom. The steam will take the creases out.

This above !!!

What is all this talk of IRONING?
That way disaster lies in the form of shiny iron-shaped patches wherever it has touched ... Iron the shirt, certainly - with starch if the mood takes you - as long as it's cotton or linen that is.
But the suit - STEAM.
Either hang it and use a purpose-built steamer, or lie it over a well-padded ironing board and hover an iron set on high steam over it, close but never touching.
If it's only got a few minor creases, hanging up in a really steamy bathroom works fine.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1644573646168.png

Sixmile

Veteran
I cycled to be the best man & wedding singer at a wedding last year so needed a suit and an acoustic guitar. My trip though involved an aeroplane and 120 miles from the airport to the venue. I had my accommodation booked separately and after arranging all the flight details and how I was going to bring a bike on the plane and build it on arrival, I went to my local bike shop (Mango Bikes) and bought a bike box off of them for £10. I put the guitar, suit, shoes, another change of clothes and a few other bits in the bike box, taped it up and cycled it down to the post office on the back of my tandem and posted it to the house of the groom via SenditNow for £12. As I wasn't sure what shape the suit would be in, I asked if they'd get it dry cleaned for my arrival since they weren't paying for suit hire or anything actually for me. The week after I boarded the flight with my hybrid, rode the 120 miles along the south coast of England over 24 hours - with a wee sleep in a B&B in the middle and arrived the day before the wedding to suit up and tune up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but how do you guys go about transporting formal wear on a bicycle.
Suit bag intended for train travel placed in the top bag of triple rear panniers and nothing placed on top of it. It will shake a bit but rarely crease as much as when you sit wearing the thing.

Top Bottom