Travel plans for the northern FNRttC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
MSeries said:
I am currently thinking of basing myself at the York Show for the weekend thus I may be riding back to York, anyone else ?

Yes I'll be riding back to York. Quite slowly though. :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I hadn't given much thought to those wanting to return to York, for which apologies.

My guess is that early morning departures from Cleethorpes will take more bikes than have been booked - there seems to be a joyful lack of fuss about this line. The real problem for those of us going back down south is from Donny to London.

There is an alternative - you could cycle to Brough or Hessle but the cost of a ticket from either of those places is a tad under sixteen quid, which seems a great deal for such a short distance.

On saturday I got a turn-up-and-pay ticket for about 23 quid, took the bike with no reservation to Doncaster and then managed to get a bike space booked at Donny from there to York on the East Coast train. I've never tried without a reservation, but have been told elsewhere that East Coast guards won't let you on without a booking.

Had I not managed to get on the East Coast train my contingency plan was to wait for a Northern train service to Leeds, then change there for a local service to York - this would have been a lot slower though. I also looked at catching the local service from Cleethorpes back up to near the bridge (I reckon that after 67 miles another 30-odd back towards the north would be, erm, 'challenging' for me) then cycling over it and going to Hessle/Brough but it worked out as expensive as the Doncaster option.

(I'm probably going to cheat and get my little sis to come and rescue me in the car!)

dellzeqq said:
My guess is that early morning departures from Cleethorpes will take more bikes than have been booked - there seems to be a joyful lack of fuss about this line. The real problem for those of us going back down south is from Donny to London.

Already covered, way back on Page 3!

The cheapest option available then, was to cycle the 3 miles to Grimsby Town station, get a train to Newark North Gate, and then change onto the train to Kings Cross. However you had to tell the computer to go via Newark or else by default it selects Doncaster. £18.50 including bike reservation. It's now double that, for either route, unless you leave after 3 pm.

Top Bottom