Travel plans for the northern FNRttC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I'm planning on cycling back to Hull from Cleethorpes on the Saturday morning, but will be back in York again the same evening for a pub crawl for my best mate's 40th - if I can walk / keep my eyes open ... :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It seems I'm on this ride now.

So I've looked into tickets and I'd have to wait until lunchtime to get a train back from Cleethorpes or Grimbsby - I guess all the other trains are booked up. I wonder why?

So I could cycle back to Hull and get a train to York from there, or

I could drive my van to Cleethorpes during the day and leave it there, then get a lift back to York with Admin, maybe... Then I'd be able to carry one passenger and five or six bikes back to York.

If bike spaces on trains back to York are in doubt, anyone who wants a bike taken back to York (you can trust me, honest) should let me know. Then I'll figure out what I'm going to do.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
It seems I'm on this ride now.

So I've looked into tickets and I'd have to wait until lunchtime to get a train back from Cleethorpes or Grimbsby - I guess all the other trains are booked up. I wonder why?

So I could cycle back to Hull and get a train to York from there, or

I could drive my van to Cleethorpes during the day and leave it there, then get a lift back to York with Admin, maybe... Then I'd be able to carry one passenger and five or six bikes back to York.

If bike spaces on trains back to York are in doubt, anyone who wants a bike taken back to York (you can trust me, honest) should let me know. Then I'll figure out what I'm going to do.

Uncle Phil, I'd like to take up your generous offer (assuming it's a goer) of a bike space on the van back to York. I'd even buy you half a pint and bag of pork scratchings by way of a thank you... :smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
hulver said:
I think York's got a couple of watering holes to choose from. I'm not sure which would be best to meet at afterwards though.

I'm sure we can find a few that will meet our principal requirement: i.e open.

Admin said:
I'm planning on cycling back to Hull from Cleethorpes on the Saturday morning, but will be back in York again the same evening for a pub crawl for my best mate's 40th - if I can walk / keep my eyes open ... :smile:

On my birthday after a FNRttC last Sept, I managed to continue drinking until 11pm at which point I collapsed on a sofa in a sleepy stupor. It took 4 friends to help me leave the premsies. I trust you will perform better...

Can the thread title be changed to "Booze and Travel Plans...", please (to reflect TC's need for a post-FNRttC libation.

Aperitif said:
xx( I have to work for a couple of hours later on Saturday and will get a choo choo from Grimsby early on Satam.:thumbsup: Please do not upset me any more - I'm a sensitive sort... :sad:

Please take photos

I'm going to bring my cycle-cam and point and shoot, so you will be able to vicariously experience the post-ride "bonding", Mart.

Shaun

Founder
Uncle Phil said:
I could drive my van to Cleethorpes during the day and leave it there, then get a lift back to York with Admin, maybe...

Sorry Phil, but I've changed my plans and am now getting a lift from 3BM along with Craigwend (another Hull CC'er) which will fill 3BM's motor to capacity ...

When I looked into trains from Hull to York the tickets were going for around £17 - just in case that's an option for you.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
That is an option. How long will it take me to get from Cleethorpes back to Hull?

Origamist, the van option remains a possibility. I just have to work out how to get me from Cleethorpes back to York after I've parked it at Cleethorpes. I could cycle, I suppose... or there'll be spaces on trains daytime on Friday...

My head hurts!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Argh, possibilities. I can't work out whether to cycle straight back home, cycle back to york and train back, Cycle back to York and then to Doncaster and train back and so on :smile:.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Aperitif said:
:smile: I have to work for a couple of hours later on Saturday and will get a choo choo from Grimsby early on Satam.xx( Please do not upset me any more - I'm a sensitive sort... :thumbsup:

Please take photos

Schoolboy error, Teef! But all is not lost. Simon reckons the pub at Cleethorpes opens at 6:30am...

Landslide

Rare Migrant
:smile:

Andrij

Über Member
Anyone still considering cycling to Hull Saturday morning? I'd like to explore all my options for a train back to London and considering catching the train from Hull.

Also, what's our ETA in Cleethorpes?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
marinyork said:
You can see a fair number of the pubs clearly on the opencyclemap or OSM layers of bikehike etc. Every one is listed on the google earth i stuff.

I'm not sure where would be good. I've watched World Cup games in The Victoria on Heslington Road and the Golden Fleece on Pavement. Better drinks but worse facilities than say The Postern Gate on the bottom of Picadilly. Of course the best places don't have tvs any more sniff :sad:, but theclaud already knows that.

The quality of the booze is unimportant on the Friday night. In fact, it is better if it's a bit duff, because I intend to be teetotal between lunchtime and the ride, and can do without the temptation of a sharpener. Looks like Origamist has the Saturday drinking plans under control... :smile:

theclaud said:
The quality of the booze is unimportant on the Friday night. In fact, it is better if it's a bit duff, because I intend to be teetotal between lunchtime and the ride, and can do without the temptation of a sharpener. Looks like Origamist has the Saturday drinking plans under control... :sad:

Let marin aid you...

MSeries

I am currently thinking of basing myself at the York Show for the weekend thus I may be riding back to York, anyone else ?

Origamist

Legendary Member
MSeries said:
I am currently thinking of basing myself at the York Show for the weekend thus I may be riding back to York, anyone else ?

If transport back is a problem (and it could be), I'll be cycling to York.

Top Bottom