Travel plans for the northern FNRttC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
Okay, my original plan has changes and I'm not driving to York now; instead I've looked at getting the train from Hull. Leaves around 21:20 and arrives York at 23:30 or nearabouts.

I just wondered though if anyone is driving from Hull to York who I could car-share with? I'm just thinking that petrol money might be cheaper than the near £20 train ticket ... :sad:

If not, no worries, just thought I'd ask.

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Admin said:
Okay, my original plan has changes and I'm not driving to York now; instead I've looked at getting the train from Hull. Leaves around 21:20 and arrives York at 23:30 or nearabouts.

I just wondered though if anyone is driving from Hull to York who I could car-share with? I'm just thinking that petrol money might be cheaper than the near £20 train ticket ... :thumbsup:

If not, no worries, just thought I'd ask.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:
it it runs to time that's fine and dandy, but please keep an eye on the timekeeping of the train and let me know if it's running late. Safety talk at 23.45 and away at 00.00

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Has anyone, who's getting the train from Cleethorpes to York, been able to get a bike reservation? After many a frustrating hour on the computer (wouldn't let me add the bike), talking to automated phone robots who then put you through to customer advisors (who aren't able to access all information you've just given to the robot so you have to go through it all again ;)) I have managed not to buy a ticket with a bike reservation all the way.

The one thing I have achieved is a bike reservation from Cleethorpes to Doncaster which is the main part of the journey :laugh:. He did say I can't reserve a bike place from Doncaster to York but you won't have a problem getting your bike on - yeah right!

Now all I need is a train ticket, all the way, and a bike reservation from Doncaster to York.

I suppose at worst I could lock the bike up at Doncaster and then pick it up on the way back through in the car.

I could crush a grape!

TimO

Guru
Yes, Adam is correct, on some trips, typically with the smaller trains that have no bike storage areas, you can't get a reservation.

I've got something similar on the following day when I'm taking a bike from London to Castle Carey for the Solstice WARTY. Even though I requested a bike reservation for the whole journey, the bike reservation ticket is only for the London to Bath bit.

For the last bit of that journey, to Castle Carey I just have to turn up and stick my bike on the train. It's generally not a problem, since you can almost always fit more bikes on trains than they are strictly supposed to take. Over the last few years I've been in groups who've fitted half a dozen bikes (including a Tandem) into an area supposedly meant for two bikes! I doubt it'll be a problem for you.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
On the return journey from Cleethorpes to York, is anybody else planning on cycling it?

A nice big breakfast and a rest, setting off at 9, should be back for 3/4ish.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Mmm, been faffing with the trains. What's the cycle route (NCN 65) from Selby to York like nowadays - last time I only did a few miles?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Origamist said:
Mmm, been faffing with the trains. What's the cycle route (NCN 65) from Selby to York like nowadays - last time I only did a few miles?

It's fine. You can either do the entire lot or jump off/on between Escrick Grange and Riccal onto the A19 because it's lower quality than the rest. Anything other than race tyres will survive it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
It's fine. You can either do the entire lot or jump off/on between Escrick Grange and Riccal onto the A19 because it's lower quality than the rest. Anything other than race tyres will survive it.

Thanks for the advice. I find a train that's not eye-wateringly expensive and there are no bike slots left. I'm going to keep trying!

Top Bottom