Trick or treaters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..wot is the correct etiquette here these days...

a) A box of sweets
B) Cash
c) Don't answer the door
d) Tell them **** off followed by a swift kick up th ejacksy

?:ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
e) Flamethrower

Night Train

Maker of Things
Well, it is money(sweets) with menaces isn't it?

I work on the basis that they ask for a trick or a treat, I find a scary mask and a tree felling axe over my shoulder usually acts as a fair trick to see them off!B)

Actually, they haven't been back since I tried that 10 years ago.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...actually i think it's cool for the younger kids...I remember taking my son out with the next door neighbours daughter when they were about 6 or 7...we had a great time and they got loads of sweets etc. lot's of people had buckets of sweets ready for them ans nobody was rude at all. I just stood a 'safe' distance away so I could be seen but it didnt interfere with the kids fun.

The problem comes as the kids become yobs and decide to hold the neighborhood to ransom to pay for cigarettes, booze and drugs.

I say on Halloween "keep T O T's for Tots"....hey I think I just had a T shirt slogan epiphany:biggrin:.

surfgurl

Mr Surf loved Halloween in our last house. It was on a little housing estate in a village and lots of little kids came round dressed up. He used to rush home from work to put his costume on and be the mad old butler with an old suit and grayed hair with talcum powder. I had to cook lots of spaghetti drizzled with olive oil and peel grapes to put in. The kids who came round had to dip their hands in the bucket of cold worms and eyeballs to find a token which won them a handful of sweets from the box.
Any older kids were wierded out by him and would run away after they had got their sweets.

KitsuneAndy

Paintballs could easily be mistaken for sweets. Especially in the dark. :ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I have to wonder why we seem to have imported what is a purely American thing and I'm convinced that nobody in the UK really has a clue what it's about.

In answer to the original question, I second the flame thrower but would be inclined to put a couple of anti-personnel mines on probable escape routes likely to be used by those avoiding the flame.

Ex-Lax dished out as a treat will help them run away...accompanied by a little Jack Russell who only knows 'Treat for Trick' and nothing else B)
The big stores sell buckets of crap for dishing out and realise the commerce of the occasion and, with the sheep-like mentality of impoverished thought, we 'adopt' someone else's habit - as Shaun points out.
Even John Lewis had pumpkinitis when I popped in there on Wednesday evening - :ohmy:. Times are hard,,,
Suffice to say I'll have all the lights out and not bother answering the door.
London radio is reporting that there will be extra police patrols tonight as there is 'intelligence' to indicate trouble in South London - using Halloween as a cover to infiltrate other gang's 'postcodes'...
Great.

cyclenic

trick or treat

I have taken 2 hours off the end of my work shift especially to take our 5 year old out trick or treating, I agree with it for the younger kids, say under 10. But disagree with the older ones just out to cause trouble (god i sound like my mum!:o)
I grew up in a small village on the moors and everyone knew everyone, but now we live in a town and i can bearly remember the nextdoor neighbours name.

hopefully no one will get any trouble tonight

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Andy in Sig said:
I have to wonder why we seem to have imported what is a purely American thing and I'm convinced that nobody in the UK really has a clue what it's about.

In answer to the original question, I second the flame thrower but would be inclined to put a couple of anti-personnel mines on probable escape routes likely to be used by those avoiding the flame.

That's a damn good idea...

Top Bottom