twisted sora derailiuer or set up wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP

2clepto

thanks svendo. much appreciated. im trying without the tool or the lbs at present )

update: ive straightened the hanger with an adjustable wrench while it was still on the frame. it was easier than i thought. here is a few photos asking whether ive done an ok job? im just about to set the indexing etc. but the chain is moving alot more fluidly. it feels promising.

Attachments

• 20140823_183702.jpg
    20140823_183702.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20140823_183452.jpg
    20140823_183452.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20140823_183648.jpg
    20140823_183648.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 13

MikeW-71

Veteran
First set of photos you posted, the hanger was clearly bent and twisted. Now it looks 100% better.

The hanger is meant to be easy to bend after all, it's a sacrificial part. At some point, the bike has been dropped on the drivetrain side.

OP
OP

2clepto

nice one mike. good to hear you feel the same way.

i definitely think the bike has been dropped. i purchased it from a student living in a fancy part of town. he had left it with a friend to sell who was looked like he may have been using it as a short commute bike. when i looked it over it was easy to see the marks where it had been treat poorly and the threaded bolts and seized stem were further signs of total mistreatment because i think the bike is less than 24 months old.

once the gears are sorted im going to be very pleased taking a risk on the bike. the seized stem being the largest risk. was very impressed with the 36" pipe wrench i purchased from ebay to tackle the task.

thanks again mike for all your help.

OP
OP

2clepto

oh yes, just returned from a swift ten miler and its amazing how well the rear mech is operating. i only moved the rear hanger around 3 to 4 mm. what is apparent is the difference in sounds the chain now makes. gone is the fast clicky humming and in is the near silence of most cogs. the chain makes a louder sound the lower the gear (larger cog) i enter. but on the ride the gears didnt jump once, i didnt need to adjust the cable tension, the gears shifted fast and for the first time on this bike i got to feel confident when ramming down hard on the pedals. im impressed by the sora considering its been battered a bit.

still, ive arrived at the juncture of, if i was super extra double picky id set the indexing up again and checkout the sounds, at which point ill purchase a new hanger and witness the best country. once the hanger had been adjusted the gears were very easy to index and were completed within 15 minutes.

one crucial tip i learnt today was, after setting the first limit screw, the one that does the adjustments for the small sized cog on the cassette, shift the gear into the 2nd smallest gear with your thumb turning the pedal slowish, then adjust and tighten up the cable, then do the other limit screw, this time the one that stops the mech from entering into the spokes. the tip feels like it iced the cake )

another crucial tip was spend £15 on some half decent screwdrivers. i began the job with rubbish id lying around.

another crucial tip was to rope in the cyclechat buddies to guide one through the thicket. many thanks everyone. have a lovely evening. mark.

great indexing vid,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On57Tl9qYRM

Last edited:
Top Bottom