Uh.... Just Window Shopping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
TDF isn't done in London rush hour either :smile: be able to push more if cycling outside peak hours. Traffic slows me down far more than any bike!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Maybe a cyclocross bike, which would take wider tires, would be more suited to commuting, yet provide the raciness you desire. I wouldn't want to destroy good racing wheelsets on the our local so-called infrastructure in the States, that's for sure. As another means to an end, @steveindenmark fitted a seatpost -mounted rack to his carbon bicycle. That may work out as well.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Maybe a cyclocross bike, which would take wider tires, would be more suited to commuting, yet provide the raciness you desire. I wouldn't want to destroy good racing wheelsets on the our local so-called infrastructure in the States, that's for sure. As another means to an end, @steveindenmark fitted a seatpost -mounted rack to his carbon bicycle. That may work out as well.

Trying to understand your post. 105's Groupsets are also used on many Cyclo-Cross bikes too. owners of Triban 3's have been able to fit 700c x 35 tyres on their bikes. I dont see why i wont be able to. If youre commenting about the Mavic Aksium wheels then Cannondale use the same wheels on their pricier Cyclo-Cross bikes.

Am I honestly not allowed to buy a road bike because im not racing? sheesh.

Triban 540 + 700x32-35 Gatorskins or Marathon supremes tyres. pannier rack for my Topeak trunkbag that i use to take my stuff to work = All sorted.

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
Cross bikes use the same groupsets as road bikes, so i'm not sure what your point is. I'll call BS on putting 35's on a triban 3 though. I owned one and the clearances simply aren't there.

Am I honestly not allowed to buy a road bike because im not racing? sheesh.

No one's telling you how to spend your money, but using a road bike for commuting is like using a caterham 7 to do the shopping in. You can, but there are much better cars to do the job.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Cross bikes use the same groupsets as road bikes, so i'm not sure what your point is.

My point wasnt in response to you, nor do I understand the quoted members point regarding wheelsets (im guessing Gravity was talking about the Mavic's)

I'll call BS on putting 35's on a triban 3 though. I owned one and the clearances simply aren't there.

Having a look again, maybe i read incorrectly - but it seems the most Tribans will take is a 28c tyre. my mistake.

No one's telling you how to spend your money, but using a road bike for commuting is like using a caterham 7 to do the shopping in. You can, but there are much better cars to do the job.

So im not allowed to use a roadbike on the road now and road bikes make bad commuters.... lol what is this thread coming to?

all i can see is FUD being spread regarding my desire to have a road bike for commuting. I'll squeeze in some light touring but im not stupid and i know not to completely pack the kitchen sink into two panniers and the rest of the plumbing into a trunkbag.

Im hardly going to be transporting loads in excess of 5kg to and from work in my trunkbag. I see many bicycle commuters have panniers or rucksacks so honestly, what is the problem here with a road bike not being a good idea for a commute?

I see commuters on road bikes almost every day when i working in the city

my god.....

Crandoggler

Mate, buy what you want.

However, my Triban would just about allow 25's. So I wouldn't agree that anything larger would fit. 25's would be wide enough for most applications though.

Edit: As for the ROAD BIKE being incorrect for commuting? The clue is in the name.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Mate, buy what you want.

However, my Triban would just about allow 25's. So I wouldn't agree that anything larger would fit. 25's would be wide enough for most applications though.

Edit: As for the ROAD BIKE being incorrect for commuting? The clue is in the name.

Thank you!

Some sense and a bit of nice info!
------

my place of work isnt located off-road. I dont see the hate or the dislike towards me at using a road bike to do the 8 miles to and back from work. with the odd 50miler on the weekends.

Link some similarly spec'd CX bikes for the same price as the Triban 540 then. Show me some examples rather than a blanket statement declaring that they are not the best for commuting. If i was thinking of touring abroad then id get something a bit more suitable (like a Cyclo-Cross or Tourer)

Crandoggler

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I did but that doesn't mean it's the max :smile: especially as you said the bike is not available in your size

Happy shopping

Thanks but im in no rush for a new bike my HOY is less than 6 months old after all.

Still exploring my options and the Triban really tickled my fancy in a big way. The planet X London looks intriguing though but customisations are where the price will start to mount up. Definitely worth keeping an eye on though.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a new model triban, I'm sure more stocks will come

105 is better than SRAM apex, but personally I'd take rival over 105. I and others got a Planet X rt 58 with rival for £500 not long ago...that said mine is now a flat bar!

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That's a new model triban, I'm sure more stocks will come

105 is better than SRAM apex, but personally I'd take rival over 105. I and others got a Planet X rt 58 with rival for £500 not long ago...that said mine is now a flat bar!

the rt 58 was a steal for that price!

Pitty theres no way to get that PX London with a 105 or Rival. With that said though if they did stick a Rival on it i dont think the base price would be £700 no more.

Just having a look at some of the FELT bikes - F85X and F95X look pretty decent. Sora & Tiagra groupsets, Not a bad choice for either of these.

Top Bottom