Uh.... Just Window Shopping.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I have a Ridgeback voyage which comes with racks, mudguards and larger tyres but can still get up a speed (if you're going downhill fully laden, it's a bit like a train!)

I actually use this more for pootling about or winter riding and the road bike for summer commuting but I carry a backpack with an air vent dingle dongle on the back for my commute.

I'm not sure it's worth getting a road bike for speed then weighing it down with racks.

The only solution to this I can see is buying the Triban AND another bike.

WHY MUST WE ALL SUFFER THIS TERRIBLE AFFLICTION?

If you don't mind something a bit older but one of the best ally frames;

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5229/CANNONDALE-CAAD8-105-COMPACT-2013

And this is a steal if it's the right size;

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5458/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-ALLOY-CLARIS-2015

Might only be claris but there's plenty of scope for upgrades;say in a years time get a new Tiagra or 11-spd 105,nice set of hand-built wheels with tubeless tyres etc.

As far as the rack how about something like this instead(yes I know we've been here before:rolleyes:);

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/apidu...gle_shopping&gclid=CMaFnZzWrckCFQkewwodLicCDA

Or one of the Carradice options?

Oh and I'd look at something that rolls a bit better than Marathons etc if you're set on a road bike;I'd be looking at something like 25c Michelin pro 4 endurance,Conti 4-seasons that sort of thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can use p clips to fix a rack to an alloy or steel frame

I've done this on two of my bikes

Vittoria Rubino tyres are solid performers and pretty cheap, in 23/25/28

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have a Ridgeback voyage which comes with racks, mudguards and larger tyres but can still get up a speed (if you're going downhill fully laden, it's a bit like a train!)

I actually use this more for pootling about or winter riding and the road bike for summer commuting but I carry a backpack with an air vent dingle dongle on the back for my commute.

I'm not sure it's worth getting a road bike for speed then weighing it down with racks.

The only solution to this I can see is buying the Triban AND another bike.

WHY MUST WE ALL SUFFER THIS TERRIBLE AFFLICTION?

The rack is there for the sake of utility as i dont like a sweaty back. The bike will only carry light loads. 99% of the time it will be nothing but a trunk bag with a few bits and peices in it. Nothing exceeding even 3kg. The heaviest thing the bike will be carrying is me.

Not the right frame size and a little too far up north to be worth it :sad:

As far as the rack how about something like this instead(yes I know we've been here before:rolleyes:);

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/apidu...gle_shopping&gclid=CMaFnZzWrckCFQkewwodLicCDA

Or one of the Carradice options?

Oh and I'd look at something that rolls a bit better than Marathons etc if you're set on a road bike;I'd be looking at something like 25c Michelin pro 4 endurance,Conti 4-seasons that sort of thing.

I have 2 Altura panniers and 1 Topeak MTX trunk bag. Id prefer to buy a rack rather than spend £80 on something that carries significantly a lot less. A rack would be cheaper and allow me to use all my luggage options.

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres seem to be pretty decent. Higher roll then a Marathon Plus

Last edited:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
The rack is there for the sake of utility as i dont like a sweaty back. The bike will only carry light loads. 99% of the time it will be nothing but a trunk bag with a few bits and peices in it. Nothing exceeding even 3kg. The heaviest thing the bike will be carrying is me.

It's the racks that will add the weight, they are bloody heavy for what they are. And the thing which would bother me is not that slowing the bike down (I do that, to be fair!!!) but whether that would damage the bike over time. How much stuff are you carrying? Could you get away with an over sized bum bag (or hip pack as seems to be the new term(no sweaty back) and a few craftily placed bags that go on the frame?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a tortec ultralight rack and it weighs almost nothing. However, it's not compatible with the slidy topeak bags

Depending on your body weight, in the medium term if carrying additional weight, you may want to invest in some hand built wheels with more spokes especially on crap London potholed roads. Historically, the wheels have been a weak point on triban bikes, they may have improved matters however

I have a tortec ultralight rack and it weighs almost nothing. However, it's not compatible with the slidy topeak bags

Depending on your body weight, in the medium term if carrying additional weight, you may want to invest in some hand built wheels with more spokes especially on crap London potholed roads. Historically, the wheels have been a weak point on triban bikes, they may have improved matters however

So say for example a person pays a lot of money for light hand built wheels to 'save weight' but puts on half a stone over Christmas, then what have lighter wheels and empty pockets achieved ?
Many a decent of the shelf wheel sets that give better reliability but not at the expense of hand built under the pretence of saving weight to boost performance.

vickster

Legendary Member
@rideswithmoobs I never mentioned light wheels. I mentioned stronger wheels with more spokes. So I'm not sure what you are trying to say

That said my handbuilts with 32/36 spokes are no heavier than my Fulcrum 5s with 20/24 spokes but are a damn sight better at carrying my 90kg and luggage on the steel genesis equilibrium tourer/commuter. They weren't actually much more money either and for me, the look is far better on the bike

Rave, don’t take it personally what the guys are saying. I think they are just questioning what you are doing because it is maybe a little unconventional to what people usually do. Unconventionality/eccentricity is good. I like that-I``m a bit like you. It’s a cycling forum at the end of the day, and I would rather the readers question what & why I am doing something instead of ignoring what is written. Debate is healthy and good, as long as personal attacks don`t creep in to the debates..

I think I understand where you are coming from. By buying a road bike with decent spec, and using it for touring/commuting (instead of getting a touring bike), it has kept the total weight down and is still doing what you want to do-including carrying stuff. Personally I’d leave the original tyres on if the terrain is suitable

Postmanhat

Beautiful bike! I want please santa :biggrin:

Got mine for £820 at an LBS 14 months ago, so there must be some very good deals on them around now. Brilliant bike for the money, great uphills. Splashed out on some Vittoria open corsa cx tyres which have made a big difference. Too fast for me to handle on some descents now!

Top Bottom