Ultegra Cassette worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
This explains trimming, a little. Basically it is clicking the levers in lightly so as not to move them the entire distance of a full shift. It only moves the derailleur a shorter distance than the full shift. It can be used to help avoid chain rub and it makes the next click of the shifter engage the shift easier and quicker, racers and other high performance riders use it mainly I think (as well as cross chaining clowns like myself..I am breaking that bad habit slowly but surely ;)). A lot of newer riders are not really that aware of it I think.

I had to go out for a while but I was thinking that maybe your cable might just be stretched a little if it has never been adjusted since you got your bike. First thing I would do is see if you have an inline barrel adjuster for the front derailleur and try adjusting that IN SMALL INCREMENTS (1/4 turns) and see if it takes enough slack out of your cable to help. Don't get carried away with the turns.

If your bike was new when you got it and has never been adjusted since, there is a good chance I think that could be the problem. The above video is a good one and I would even suggest looking at others on youtube as well. If I didn't feel comfortable enough trying to adjust it myself I would take it to a LBS and let them check it out. I would try to watch them if possible.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Watch out with upgrading the brakes to 105, the synapse has 57mm drop, dont think the 105's reach that far!

zizou

Veteran
I wouldnt upgrade it if your existing cassette is still working good but when it comes time to replace your existing cassette then it is worth considering it if you can find a good deal...just dont expect to notice much difference!

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
For setting up your gears (and brakes) this BikeRadar vid is really helpful, easy to understand steps, the guy makes it look as easy as it should be.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqrhFzW8s0

Useful! Thanks

This explains trimming, a little. Basically it is clicking the levers in lightly so as not to move them the entire distance of a full shift. It only moves the derailleur a shorter distance than the full shift. It can be used to help avoid chain rub and it makes the next click of the shifter engage the shift easier and quicker, racers and other high performance riders use it mainly I think (as well as cross chaining clowns like myself..I am breaking that bad habit slowly but surely ;)). A lot of newer riders are not really that aware of it I think.

I had to go out for a while but I was thinking that maybe your cable might just be stretched a little if it has never been adjusted since you got your bike. First thing I would do is see if you have an inline barrel adjuster for the front derailleur and try adjusting that IN SMALL INCREMENTS (1/4 turns) and see if it takes enough slack out of your cable to help. Don't get carried away with the turns.

If your bike was new when you got it and has never been adjusted since, there is a good chance I think that could be the problem. The above video is a good one and I would even suggest looking at others on youtube as well. If I didn't feel comfortable enough trying to adjust it myself I would take it to a LBS and let them check it out. I would try to watch them if possible.

Got it now, thanks for that link EDIT: Dont got it! I can move my 105 shifter without the click of the gear changing (there is sort of free movement in the shifter lever) but I can't see it doing what the link says, its not permanently moving the derailleur - its moving it but when I let go of the brake lever its moving back. EDIT2: I got it! I was trying to microshift the rear derailleur, only works on the front!! D'oh.

Whatever trips your trigger there sport ;). It's your bike :thumbsup:

Cant imagine blue wheels on silver frames, going to have t stick with boring black.

Watch out with upgrading the brakes to 105, the synapse has 57mm drop, dont think the 105's reach that far!

Cheers for the heads up

Nomadski I love how your mind wanders from one thing to another! :laugh:

Well I AM Nomad! :P Seriously though, got a lot of things just popped up at the same time, have an itch to upgrade, have a creaky BB30, and it seems now I dont fully understand how shifting works!

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
* Am I right in thinking the 11 vs 12 tooth on the cassette will give me a little more downhill drive, without losing anything going uphills?

Any word on this from anyone?

e-rider

crappy member
cassettes don't last long so it would be a short-term upgrade anyway!
11T sprocket is unnecessary for most people
Ultegra 6600 12-27 cassettes are currently £30 from CRC - bargain if you really want one

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
cassettes don't last long so it would be a short-term upgrade anyway!
11T sprocket is unnecessary for most people
Ultegra 6600 12-27 cassettes are currently £30 from CRC - bargain if you really want one

Am losing out on the uphill tooth though on that cassette, something I really need for Leith Hill!

Would the 11T give me 1 extra harder gear for downhill? I'm finding I'm spinning on the long downhill sections I ride, would like an extra gear, if this would give me that.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Thanks for the advice guys, seems a good idea to wait for an enforced upgrade to happen to my existing cassette, would have plumped down the cash if people thought it was a significant upgrade. As it is I went for the Michelin Pro 4 service course tyres x2. Think the constant improvement in rolling will benefit me a little more than 1 extra downhill gearing and maybe a slight improvement in shifting.

Oh and Ive gone with the blue version. :wacko:

e-rider

crappy member
pro 4s are nice tyres, however, one bit of glass and it'll be in the bin!
if you are spinning out 53x12 or even 50x12 then you should enter the tour de france - I suspect you are simply not pedaling fast enough

simmi

Über Member
As you know mate I also have a Synapse mine has the 105 cassette in 11-28 this is great for really hilly rides I only ever get in the 50-11 when going down long hills and conversely only ever need the 34-28 for going up very steep hills, as most of my rides are on flattish terrain I find it very hard to get a good cadence with this cassette.
Consequently I am in the process of getting a 12-25 (12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25) 105 cassette which should smooth my cadence out no end.
I will then be able to swap cassette (and chain) depending on the ride I am doing, I did this on my previous bike and it was only a 5-10 minute job.

OP
OP
Nomadski

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
As you know mate I also have a Synapse mine has the 105 cassette in 11-28 this is great for really hilly rides I only ever get in the 50-11 when going down long hills and conversely only ever need the 34-28 for going up very steep hills, as most of my rides are on flattish terrain I find it very hard to get a good cadence with this cassette.
Consequently I am in the process of getting a 12-25 (12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25) 105 cassette which should smooth my cadence out no end.
I will then be able to swap cassette (and chain) depending on the ride I am doing, I did this on my previous bike and it was only a 5-10 minute job.

Cheers Simmi, useful, especially as we share the same wheels of steel.

What tyres do you have on yours btw?

Top Bottom