Ultegra Cassette worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
Cheers Simmi, useful, especially as we share the same wheels of steel.

What tyres do you have on yours btw?
Mine has still got the Mavic Aksion it came with, they are OK other than when you need to remove them, they are by far the tightest tyres I has ever come across (in my limited experience)

simmi

Über Member
I love the video by the way he did the front mech in 1 minute flat.
It must have taken me an hour at least to get it right on my lads bike so many variables:cursing:
(and me an ex-mechanical engineers)

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Cheers Simmi, useful, especially as we share the same wheels of steel.

What tyres do you have on yours btw?

Ally 105 synapse is my new cherished steed, fecking lovely bike innit!

I had the same thoughs re the brakes, but shimano only do an ultegra set which will fit (r650) I think, crc had some in recently.

Ditch those luganos, hated them, they look nice but were slow, I put gatorskins on mine in the end as the local chavs have taken to trying to fill pot holes with broken bottles and most recently staples (wtf?).

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
As you know mate I also have a Synapse mine has the 105 cassette in 11-28 this is great for really hilly rides I only ever get in the 50-11 when going down long hills and conversely only ever need the 34-28 for going up very steep hills, as most of my rides are on flattish terrain I find it very hard to get a good cadence with this cassette.
Consequently I am in the process of getting a 12-25 (12,13,14,15,16,17,19,21,23,25) 105 cassette which should smooth my cadence out no end.
I will then be able to swap cassette (and chain) depending on the ride I am doing, I did this on my previous bike and it was only a 5-10 minute job.

I have both an Ultegra 12-25 and an 11-28. As you say, great to swap between depending on terrain. 11-28 for your up's and downs, spin out at just over 50mph on a 50-11 down an 9% grad (would love to try a 53-11) The 16 ring on the 12-25 is nice to sit in when cruising along.

I love the video by the way he did the front mech in 1 minute flat.
It must have taken me an hour at least to get it right on my lads bike so many variables:cursing:
(and me an ex-mechanical engineers)

Yeah I like it, once you try it on your own bike after watchong it it clicks into place how much easier it is than is perceived.

Top Bottom