Urban Myth Busters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just tried and failed to convince someone that the hair on one's head doesn't grow quicker if it gets cut regularly. This myth seems to be perpetuated by hairdressers, as the justification often seems to be 'ask any hairdresser!'... but surely it's a myth... isn't it? How on earth would the hair's roots know that the ends have been trimmed?

Cut half your hair and leave the other half untouched, and then see which is longest a year later.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

[QUOTE 3243736, member: 45"]My mom used to say that a cup of tea is the best drink to cool you down.[/QUOTE]
mine too, and i believe her... well... sort of.

given the choice between a cup of tea or a pint of lager... i know which I'd choose.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

My nan said vinegar dries your blood up. I never understood what that meant.
mine too. I think it's just to stop kids from drinking it.

my granddad, if we complained at having a sniffle or a cold, used to chop an onion in half, cover the exposed half with sugar and leave it to draw out some onion juice, then he'd scrape the oniony sugar into a glass, add a drop of whiskey and top it up with hot water and give it us to drink. Medicinal value = bugger all. Stopping kids from whining about minor ailments = worked a treat.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3243762, member: 45"]Yeah right. Introducing heat to your body cools you down.[/QUOTE]
It makes you sweat more, giving your bodies cooling system a boost.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3243795, member: 45"]There's all kinds of argument both ways on the Internet. But simply, your body wants to keep you at your normal core temperature. If you drink a hot drink your temperature will rise and your body will bring it back down. So it feels like you're cooling down but you're only getting back to square one.[/QUOTE]
But you feel cooler, well I do anyway. :becool:

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 3243736, member: 45"]My mom used to say that a cup of tea is the best drink to cool you down.[/QUOTE]
It is and an ice cream will warm you up quicker than a hot drink.

Top Bottom